PDA

View Full Version : Battle in the sky

arash_hazeghi
04-25-2016, 12:08 PM
This frame is from late 2012 during my trip to Haines, AK with Jim Neiger. This photo was made in the Chilkat river eagle preserve. Back then I was shooting with the 1D MK IV (wish the 1DX was out before my trip) so the images weren't as clean as my 1DX in low light. I went back and reprocessed this one with the new software (DPP4 and latest Neat Image plug-in in PS CC) to see what I can get and was pleasantly surprised. I think I can now print this one too

1D MK IV 600 f/4 II. ISO 1600, f/4 at 1/1250sec. Hand held. Processed with DPP 4.4

BTW, if I had a 1DX at the time I would have put on my 1.4X TC (the 1D4 did struggle with TC in low light) and shot this at ISO 3200 or even 4000. Eagles would have been larger in the frame and the image would have also been cleaner... This to debunk the crop-factor myth :)

Mike Poole
04-25-2016, 03:32 PM
Love the expression on the face of the lower bird and the flying debris off to the right.

It's difficult for me to tell at this size, but what extra would the 1dx have given you - would the shadow detail in the wings be cleaner?

Mike

arash_hazeghi
04-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Love the expression on the face of the lower bird and the flying debris off to the right.

It's difficult for me to tell at this size, but what extra would the 1dx have given you - would the shadow detail in the wings be cleaner?

Mike

Mike,

You're right, the small web size doesn't tell you anything about the RAW quality at pixel level. My 4K screen measure about 4000 pixels at the long edge so while this image looks pretty good as posted here, at 4K size it doesn't really hold, the same is true about prints lager than 12" on the long side. With the 1DX the IQ would have been significantly higher at these sizes and for publications.

I often see folks wow at ISO 3200 files from a 7D2 posted on the internet, overlooking the fact that almost any camera on the market today can produce acceptable output at web size, especially with good processing. But when it comes to modern 4K/5K displays the small sensor and the older camera really struggle.

Now when I go back and look at my 1D4 files, I realize how much better the 1DX is and that makes me more eager to wait until my 1DX2 ships!

Marina Scarr
04-25-2016, 08:16 PM
What a dynamic image, Arash. Love the action/behavior you captured but what makes this image just as powerful is the varied BG and the pieces of flying snow. This is an all around winner, and expertly processed.

Thank you for the info on the differences between the files of the 1DX and the 1D4. I am about ready to drop the hammer on the 1DX. :)

arash_hazeghi
04-25-2016, 08:53 PM
What a dynamic image, Arash. Love the action/behavior you captured but what makes this image just as powerful is the varied BG and the pieces of flying snow. This is an all around winner, and expertly processed.

Thank you for the info on the differences between the files of the 1DX and the 1D4. I am about ready to drop the hammer on the 1DX. :)

you should wait a few more weeks and buy mine :t3

Daniel Cadieux
04-26-2016, 11:29 AM
I love the fact that we can see the bottom eagle's two eyes, very cool pose. I like the vertical comp and the flying bits of snow.

David Salem
04-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Awesome interaction Arash. The pose of the lower eagle is great. Nice capture