PDA

View Full Version : Selective Noise Reduction/Sharpening

Nick Davison
06-09-2008, 07:57 AM
I have noticed on lots of posts, that people have applied selective noise reduction or sharpening to their images. Would anybody be able to advise on the best techniques to do this?

Thank you in advance for your help

Nick

Robert Amoruso
06-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Nick,

Generally, noise reduction is performed on a background copy. So what I will do is run the program I use (currently I am using Noise Ware and liking it a lot) onthe background layer at a level that removes the noise from the area I need it removed from. This is generally the BG (sky is a big one for me) but shadows too. Agressive noise reduction does obscure fine details so I won't normally do it on birds or other subjects with fine details.

I run the program and then create a layer mask on the background copy. At this point the mask is white and you can see the affect of the NR. I will then chose a brush and paint black over the areas I do NOT want the NR applied. In the reverse you can fill the layer mask with black and paint white to reveal.

For a sky, I will do a selection of the sky, do a invert selection to make the bird the selection, expand it to pull it away from the edges of the bird, feather it and then paint black ovr the bird hiding the NR.

The selective sharpening, sometimes called creative sharpening can be done in a similar manner.

Nick Davison
06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks Robert!

I was thinking along the same lines, but wasn't sure if it was the correct technique. I have just receieved Robert O'Toole's APATATS CD from Arthur Morris, so will use the quick mask techniques outlined in it to make my selections.

Thank you for your help.

Alfred Forns
06-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi Nick your other choice is to purchase PhotoKit Sharpener !!! One fine program with lots of features.

Has three types of sharpening. One at the time of capture, second for local areas both sharpening and softening, and finally output sharpening.
The output takes into consideration the destination and resolution. Impressive program.

Anything done with this program can be done in PS as Robert pointed out. I don't have that much time on my hands but do expect perfect results so PK is my choice !!! There is a good review at the Luminous Landscape site by Michael !!!!

Nick Davison
06-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi Alfred Thanks for the advice.

I have a seperate program for noise reduction, but haven't got one yet for sharpening yet so I will look into PhotoKit Sharpener. So far I have just used photoshop or lightroom.

Robert Amoruso
06-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Nick,

I have an use PK Sharpener and it is hands-down my favorite commercial sharpening package. Though you could do anything it does in PS, the Pixel Genius team which included the late Bruce Frasier figured out the optimal settings up front. A very powerful package.

Robert O'Toole
06-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Nick,

In my opinon wether or not you use PS NR or one of a dozens of NR programs out there the choice is not that important. You can achieve good results anyone of them. I think the application technique is the most important factor. It think it is better to learn how to use NR techniques in PS as Robert A mentioned rather than spend $100s of dollars on plugins so you can just press a auto button. Once you learn a few good NR application techniques then you can look at moving on to a more sophisticated NR program. Some of these are excellent.

BTW I have a NR section in my new APTATS CD coming soon.

Robert

Nick Davison
06-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks All for your advice!

I agree with both Roberts about mastering a few programmes first. One of my big dislikes of digital photography is the need for extensive learning of computer programmes. I know that digital photography has helped my image making, but I still get fustrated with the computer side of digital. I am trying to limit the number of programmes I use to help ensure a quick digital workflow and also to make it easier to learn each programme so I can ensure I can get the best out of them. This is where this site and all its participants are great. There is a regular and open flow of ideas and support which benefits us all, so a quick thank you to everbody involved!