PDA

View Full Version : Theme Feeding Lion

Steve Kaluski
04-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Yet 'another' frame from the pair of Lions feeding on a buffalo carcass - this seemed appropriate for this months theme.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lion (Panthera leo) feeding on carcass
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/500s at f/5.6 ISO3200 EV 0.67+
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC

Note: No NR has been applied, the rib cage is just shortness of DoF, all sharp elements are is the same plane of focus.

Jonathan Ashton
04-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Fine shot Steve, the quality is high as usual sharpening looks just right to me. I like the "evil eye" he's obviously tucking in but he has a sneaky eye on you.
What's at the base is that OOF grass?

Steve Kaluski
04-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Cheers Jon.

What's at the base is that OOF grass?

Yep, the two brothers kept dragging the carcass around, so it became a real pain at times, however here I just wanted a hint of grass, as it helped masked the head etc, albeit a fraction, but as presented that is the trim, no more on this frame below.

haseeb badar
04-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Hi Steve -- High quality image as usual , very nicely framed with great details . Doesn't appear to me gory , instead the ribcage is nicely bleeding in the whole scene . I see a slight sense of motion on the snout , may be a slower ss has caused that but not a deal breaker .

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
04-23-2016, 05:59 AM
see a slight sense of motion on the snout , may be a slower ss has caused that but not a deal breaker .

Thanks Haseeb, looked at the RAW and Final Tiff, all good, no 'motion' on the snout, if there was then I would expect to see other areas too. The detail is not as 'crisp' due to the fur around the mouth/nose being 'matted' due to moisture and blood soaked. I do agree that if I shot his now, then I would have looked for more SS.

Cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
04-23-2016, 06:41 AM
Hi Steve - This works well. It wasn't easy to isolate one of the lions with no distractions at this sighting. The visible tooth, blood on the face and look of intensity combine to make a nice image. Interesting that there doesn't seem to be blood on the whiskers. I wonder if now these techs would be around your starting point and then you would raise ISO and ss from here?

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Interesting that there doesn't seem to be blood on the whiskers.

Indeed Rachel, perhaps he has a quick wipe around with the tongue beforehand???? :bg3:

I wonder if now these techs would be around your starting point and then you would raise ISO and ss from here?

Not sure, I lost SS by changing the EV, unless on a beanbag perhaps, but now, for me it's gaining more SS and dealing with any noise in PP - if required. It will be interesting to see how the MKII fairs, that's if Canon can actually despatch the body!!!! I also change tact for shooting close in i.e. the eye, when the opportunity arises hopefully.

Cheers
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
04-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Wonderful capture and your PP work is superb. Love the 3D feel and those vibrant colours, cracking detail as always.

Superb POV, places me as the viewer right there on the ground with the lion, great image design and presentation!

I wish I could process like this, wondering how many more years it will take me to get there?:tinysmile_shy_t:

I truly enjoyed viewing this image, thank you Steve, have a wonderful afternoon.

Joseph Przybyla
04-24-2016, 10:58 AM
I second Gabriela's comments...your image makes me feel I was there watching it happen. Thank you for sharing, Steve.

Andre Pretorius
04-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Hi Steve

Opened this image - the first thing that hit me- I have never seen a lion boy with 8 ear rings! Must be dried blood from tick bites or a certain tattoo shop?
Love the DOF and the reds- works.
The slight look in your direction- he knows you are there, just letting you know he knows...
+0.67- were you not afraid to blow the chin or prey's ribs? Did you pull back in PP? (just the tip of nose and gums to consider...)
Nice MT contrast and sharpening!
Shall we consider "bloody" as a theme in future.. maybe too gory? (been looking at some very bloody/gory images from 2012..)
Like it!

Steve Kaluski
04-25-2016, 03:37 PM
+0.67- were you not afraid to blow the chin or prey's ribs?

Just used the Histogram

Did you pull back in PP?

No need to if exposed correctly. :w3