PDA

View Full Version : Male Northern Flicker

Simon d'Entremont
04-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Here's a Northern Flicker, the Yellow-Shafted subspecies, from Eastern Canada. You can tell this is a male by the black "moustache". I smoothed out the background using photoshop a bit, and adjustment layers for levels and brightness plus a few adjustments in Lightroom. The orientation was as shot...the tree was at an angle, as was the height and width (ie no cropping). Shot with a Canon 7D2 and 500 F4 II, ISO 400, 1/800, F4.

dankearl
04-20-2016, 06:39 PM
I hope you turned your camera for a vertical?
Nice details, the BG perhaps is a bit too smooth? At iso400, just a bit of NR
would give it a more natural look.
Nice photo...

Matthew Jones
04-20-2016, 08:18 PM
This is such a cool looking bird Simon and you have captured some really nice detail and colour.

arash_hazeghi
04-21-2016, 01:19 PM
I love the bird, details and light but the blurred BG doesn't work here. it looks synthetic and unnatural to the trained eye. Unfortunately blurring the BG in Photoshop doesn't really work, it's better to leave it as is

TFS

Gabriela Plesea
04-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Dear Simon,

Beautiful subject and I love the colours and patterns, nice PP work to bring out some lovely detail, sharpening is spot-on. Perch looks great too.

In terms of comp I would have loved a tad more space below. The BG is indeed too smooth and I agree with Arash above, it looks rather unnatural. I would love to see another version with less blur, despite those vivid colours the bird would still stand out beautifully. Just a humble suggestion, would you perhaps consider reducing the yellows and greens in the BG slightly (selectively, only the brightest areas)?

Thank you so much for sharing,

Simon d'Entremont
04-21-2016, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Here's another take. I wasn't quite happy with the background either, but attempted to get rid of some artifacts. Best to leave them alone. I also reduced the saturation a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take this vertically and don't have any room for a differing crop.

arash_hazeghi
04-21-2016, 08:02 PM
the repost looks natural, not the smoothest BG and bokeh but looks much better than the "Fake" blur

Marina Scarr
04-21-2016, 08:23 PM
I am with ARash here, the original looks more natural. I love the pink hue of the feathers here. I'm not sure our feathers have this hue. Lovely male specimen.