PDA

View Full Version : Red Knot ,

Fred Woodman
04-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Canon 7dii 100-400 ii, 1/1600 f5.6 ISO 200. Adjustment in Lightroom CC , PScc.161476

Andrew Harrell
04-20-2016, 03:51 PM
Hi Fred!! Boy, this is a great preening shot! If I were to consider a few changes, I might crop just a bit off the top and add some to the bottom. But more importantly for me, do you see that black semi-circle line in the sand to the left of the bird? My eyes keep getting drawn to it - a distraction for me. Perhaps Heal it out? I like the orangey-colors in the feathers -- did you do anything to enhance those, or was that fairly natural just with the light?

Sweet pic, thanks for sharing!!

AP

Diane Miller
04-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Good points by Andrew. If there is more at the bottom, it would enhance a strong image -- the bird and water are just lovely! Very nice pose, lighting and detail.

The dark, contrasty and saturated areas at the top are competing with the lovely bird and it's immediate environment, though. I'd crop almost all of the reeds and lighten any of the dark areas up there that remain, and possibly take a little off the right to move the bird a little more out of the center.

Adhika Lie
04-20-2016, 05:52 PM
I have been looking at this image for half an hour; Not constantly, but thinking about what makes this image not work for me. The bird's pose and lighting is beautiful. And I think Diane expressed it really well: the reed is competing with the beautiful bird.

Fred Woodman
04-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Than you everyone, funny how editing goes, when I cropped the original I was liking the reflection of the background greens, but now I agree it does compete. First I wondered more or less bird and opted for this crop size. Thanks again

Fred Woodman
04-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Heres a rework, more in front less behind, I cut the Vibrance/ Saturation161492 in LR back from 15 to 8. Removed the black grass in water. Used the eye for the thirds, placing it in top left. This further removes the green back ground.

Adhika Lie
04-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Fred, that composition is a killer. LOVE it! Can you bring out the white probably +2 more? I think just a tad more brilliance would lift up the mood of this photo. Excellent work! I would love to have a shot like this on my repertoire!

Glennie Passier
04-21-2016, 02:39 AM
Yep. Repost is very, very nice Fred. Well done.

Fred Woodman
04-21-2016, 05:21 AM
A tad more whites, with a little brightening of the whites in tail feathers.161498

Steve Kaluski
04-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Hi Fred, the RP in Pane 9 is the best for composition, but the Blacks are choked, (clogging detail), surprised no one mentioned this???

My advice would be to make a Virtual copy and start afresh and reset all sliders.
-
- Fined the black point
- Reduce Contrast
- And if any, just be gentle with Clarity
- And get you WB right, then adjust

I cannot remove all the additional Black, just look at your Histogram and the warning triangles in LR.

If you are shooting RAW then you initial capture should be as flat as a pancake colour wise, that is you starting point. Check your 'Picture Style' in camera and I would set to Neutral, that way the camera doesn't add any more into the image such as Sharpening, Contrast, Saturation & Colour Tone.

If the Blacks & Shadows then open up, more detail will appear, especially in the mid tones and overall the image will look better as more 'definition' will come through. Personally I might back off the saturation and adjust your colours manually, but you were there so have a better recollection, but if you saturate colour , again it just masks the detail.

Again, not a great RP attached, but it may illustrate my points, as you start to see more in the beak etc.

Steve

Fred Woodman
04-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Thank you smooch , its appreciated

Hi Fred, the RP in Pane 9 is the best for composition, but the Blacks are choked, (clogging detail), surprised no one mentioned this???

My advice would be to make a Virtual copy and start afresh and reset all sliders.
-
- Fined the black point
- Reduce Contrast
- And if any, just be gentle with Clarity
- And get you WB right, then adjust

I cannot remove all the additional Black, just look at your Histogram and the warning triangles in LR.

If you are shooting RAW then you initial capture should be as flat as a pancake colour wise, that is you starting point. Check your 'Picture Style' in camera and I would set to Neutral, that way the camera doesn't add any more into the image such as Sharpening, Contrast, Saturation & Colour Tone.

If the Blacks & Shadows then open up, more detail will appear, especially in the mid tones and overall the image will look better as more 'definition' will come through. Personally I might back off the saturation and adjust your colours manually, but you were there so have a better recollection, but if you saturate colour , again it just masks the detail.

Again, not a great RP attached, but it may illustrate my points, as you start to see more in the beak etc.

Steve

Marina Scarr
04-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Hello Fred. It was a pleasure meeting you last Sunday and I thought I'd pop in and comment on your image. Your RP on Pane 9 is my fav, although I think I'd take a tad more off of the bottom maybe up to just above the first dark line. I don't think that space adds anything to the image. Love the behavior you've captured here.

Fred Woodman
04-26-2016, 11:39 AM
It was a real pleasure meeting you, when I heard you say your name I knew where I had seen it before but thought it best to ask anyway. Its always great to meet people who share the same interests. Its one of the marvels of Social media.