PDA

View Full Version : Flight of the Grey Heron

Stu Bowie
04-18-2016, 12:00 PM
This is almost full frame, and was captured early morning at the University of Pretoria. The Heron had just flown out of the water, and there are a few trailing droplets. I normally capture these guys head on, as they return to their nests on top of one of the trees, against a sky BG. I decided to move to where there is water and managed to capture different images and against a grass BG.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/3200
F/6.3
ISO 640

Manual exposure
Hand Held.

Steve Kaluski
04-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Hi Stu, like the trailing water as you mentioned and what seems to be some water reflection in the underwing. Some good detail and the whites look well tamed too, but I'm not a lover of the BKG sadly, sorry. It is what it is, but compared to the majority of you images I wished the Heron was more cooperative in choosing a better location to fly past :bg3:. It almost has a painterly look & feel, may also be added too, by the heat perhaps???

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
04-18-2016, 01:53 PM
The trouble is Stu you have spoiled us with your Pilanesberg Bg's,not one with any experiences of flying birds but this looks very good to me,outstretched wing showing plenty of feather detail ,very well caught.

Keith.

John Robinson
04-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Like the reflection off the water Stu. Herons seem to get this when still low over water. Can't decide on the dark bank in the BG. - maybe tone down a bit -?
Just my thoughts
John

Stu Bowie
04-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. The lower FG is actually the water, with the grass being reflected onto it. The yellow patches are probably where the mower went a bit deep into the grass whilst cutting. :w3

William Dickson
04-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Lovely flight pose Stu and beautiful detail and colour on the heron. Next time pick a better BG :w3 Well done.

Will

David Salem
04-18-2016, 11:59 PM
You sure locked on to this guy Stu. The details look great and I really like the green BG. Perfect flight angle and light angle. Great job

Richard Flack
04-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Beautiful light Stu and great wing position, BG is not my favourite but that is what it is. Well done on getting good detail on this one!

Gabriela Plesea
04-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Hello Dear Stu!

Love the surprised look from the Heron:)

Super techs and lovely detail on those wings, bird nice and sharp, pops nicely for me against the deep green BG/FG.

It all looks like a painting to me and I like it... I do realise the BG is a tad overwhelming, but I haven't seen a field that green in a while and I miss it, the drought is taking its toll on us here in Kwazulu Natal:tinysmile_shy_t:

Warmest regards, have a super evening my friend:)