PDA

View Full Version : Bells Rapids..

Don Railton
04-17-2016, 03:05 AM
Hi Guys

I have been a bit slow to post here lately... No good reason other than work is rather hectic at the moment. I went to visit a local river here this morning with the aim to capture some B&W subject matter. Will show that later in the week. I quite liked this however and thought I would share and seek comment.. feel free to comment as you like, I tend to be vocal so now it's your turn to shoot holes in my work...

1D4 & 70 to 200 at 80mm.
F25, ISO 100 at 0.8 sec shutter... (Don't like that F# but wanted the shutter)
tripod and B&W CP filter.

I processed in ACR using CS6. added a NIK Little detail extractor and selective pulling back of highlights using a luminosity mask.. Prob could go a bit further here..

DON

Adhika Lie
04-17-2016, 07:52 AM
This is a very interesting composition, Don. The color scheme works really well for me. But I do find the lighter tone on the upper left hand a little out of balance with the rest of the composition. I mean, talking about a centered rock, right? As presented, the image does feel a little left heavy, if you know what I mean. But it's a really interesting excerpt of a river and I get the story. I can't wait to see the B&W you mentioned!

Diane Miller
04-17-2016, 07:49 PM
The f/25 didn't do any harm that I can see -- I love the clarity of the water on the rocks. I'd rate this image as outstanding! Darkening the two lightest areas on the left would take it from a 10 to an 11 for me.

Ditto on anticipating the B/W!

Don Railton
04-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the kind comments Adhika & Diane.. I have already pulled back the Upper LSH (its foam) in the water, but could go more obviously if you noticed it. I did think of cropping to remove it but couldent do so and retain the stream lines along the top of the upper rocks which i wanted to keep as i think they are essential to this image.. Hope I dont dissapoint with the B&W, now you have added a bit of pressure..!

regards to you both

Don

Andrew McLachlan
05-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Hi Don, this is great and ditto on the B&W. Actually my first thought was convert it to B&W...I love taking scenes like this for B&W conversion...they can be very effective.