PDA

View Full Version : Reflection Times Two

Joseph Przybyla
04-14-2016, 07:12 PM
I captured this image of a Muscovy Duck at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida earlier this week. While this duck in not native to Florida there is a substantial feral population in this area. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing,

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 240mm (360mm FFE)
1/1000 F/8 Matrix Metering +1 EV ISO 6400 AWB
Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC
Cropped for composition and presentation

John Robinson
04-15-2016, 01:54 PM
I like it Jo- but I don,t particularly like the species ! - if you know what I mean. The texture and modelling around the face is superb. And the reflection in the beak end !! -great.
Good one
John

Steve Kaluski
04-16-2016, 04:37 AM
Hi Joe, I think this is excellent in terms of framing, HA and colours, the red really pings from the more cooler Blues & Greens, love the darkish soft blue BKG, to me it works.

1/1000 F/8 Matrix Metering +1 EV ISO 6400 AWB

Wonderful to see you pushing the ISO and nailing the image, a much slower SS would have cost you the capture, well done and the camera still works too???? :bg3:

Personally I feel the image is a tad light, bring the exp down with the new Tools you have and I think brings back some tonal depth. What appears to be slightly overcast has helped too. The face is good, but can be improved to get more of a 3D 'look & feel' which I feel you captured in the RAW (this is why RAW outstrips any other mode i.e. JPEG/sRGB in shooting), but it lacks in the OP. Not ideal with a small file, and probably pushed the things a tad, but I think it will illustrate what I was thinking. You have everything to hand now Joe, it's just a case of emerging yourself in the Software and taking things Step by Step at each stage. In the OP I might just back off the sharpening a reaction.

TFS
Steve

PS I think the eye looks a bit worked on in the OP????

Joseph Przybyla
04-16-2016, 08:46 AM
John and Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting.

Steve, I will revisit the RAW using your suggestions.