PDA

View Full Version : Tulip

Jonathan Ashton
04-12-2016, 10:04 AM
My wife wanted to throw out some flowers (and of course for me to get replacement!) I persuaded her to keep them another day or two because I thought they would prove interesting subjects for macro. The weather was dull so I decided to try some stacking without using a focusing rail. This is 13 images at f6.3, +0.3EV @ ISO 100.
I started by batch converting to TIFF then stacking the TIIFs. The petals were still a little dark so I used a luminosity mask to lift them a little. Next I applied a little Nik Tonal effect, then resized and sharpened for web.
All comments welcome.

Steve Kaluski
04-13-2016, 11:32 AM
I decided to try some stacking without using a focusing rail. This is 13 images at f6.3, +0.3EV @ ISO 100.

Good for you and no software, excellent, VWD Jon.

Have you considered a straight white BKG and get some light through those red leaves to provide some 'form' and so the light 'sculpts' the folds. I think you could also get some more texture from the stem?

John Robinson
04-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Good to see you posting on here again Jon and you seem to have got the stacking sorted. Nice one Seems slightly hard/ crunchy but no big deal.Hard to describe what I mean really but the petals and their veins seem unusual to my eye. I did a Pasque flower yesterday and it looked similar.
I must admit I don't go all the time for plain backdrops abart from black.

What stacking programme did you use?

Cheers

John

Jonathan Ashton
04-14-2016, 04:23 AM
Steve I try to avoid white backgrounds they look rather clinical to me having worked in pathology for 30 odd years. I will start playing with some flash for lighting soon, I just wanted to see if I could make a decent fist of stacking first of all.
John the effect in the petals was deliberate, I was just trying to get as much detail as I could, I thought it conveyed the almost velvet like texture.

John Robinson
04-14-2016, 05:54 AM
Hi Jon
Point taken. I must admit I did a pasque flower yesterday and it looked very similar.
I don't usually like plain BG's apart from black

You dont say what stacking programme you used.

John

Steve Kaluski
04-14-2016, 07:37 AM
Steve I try to avoid white backgrounds they look rather clinical to me having worked in pathology for 30 odd years.

Interesting POV Jon, in past times I have briefed so many photographers to shoot on white backgrounds for all walks of Design & Advertising, saved truckloads of time & money, avoiding the early programmes of PS, (seems so basic then, but a real Pandora's box) or just employ a retoucher and a 12x10 transparency. Guess I must have done something right to retire at a very early age and be able to do what we do. :S3:

Thanks for the insight.

Steve

PS - PSCC is really good for stacking and so fast too.

Steve Maxson
04-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Hi Jon. Looks like you are off and running with focus stacking! Lots to like in this image - colors, textures, patterns. I don't hang around flowers enough to judge whether this looks "real", but I really like the way this turned out!

Diane Miller
04-17-2016, 08:01 PM
This is gorgeous!! I love the soft color on the BG and the detail everywhere in the flower. Beautiful colors and tonalities.

Adhika Lie
04-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Jon, my apology for being late to the party, but this is stellar. I really love the composition on this one, very simple. It's a pity that stamen at the back was bent and arched downward. The color combination here is exquisite.

Jonathan Ashton
04-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Jerry van Dijk
04-20-2016, 03:14 PM
In addition to compliments already given, I really like the angle you chose here. Very balanced composition like this.