PDA

View Full Version : Sunset on the Zambezi

Morkel Erasmus
04-11-2016, 12:29 AM
A sunset shot from the "Mana Mouth" viewpoint in Mana Pools, overlooking the Zambezi river upstream and the Zambian escarpment on the other side.
In hindsight I would have paid more attention to include all of the tree on the left. I was helping clients with their compositions and therefore had set up my tripod to just keep clicking on one composition as the sun set. :e3

The animals grazing are waterbuck. There were also hippos and fish eagles calling vividly.

I processed this last night in Lightroom's auto HDR workflow and was once again very pleased with how it renders these blends naturally.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 16mm
f11 | ISO-100 | Blend of 3 exposures to control dynamic range.

Adhika Lie
04-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Beautiful sky, beautiful composition, Morkel. Very nice blending, too. Thanks for sharing!

Don Railton
04-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Hi Morkel

I like the colour & composition. There is a nice 'draw' into the image for the eye. Looks good for an HDR rendered image, I think the Lhs tree is still a little dark however..

DON

Grady Weed
04-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Morkel, I have to agree with Don on the tree being too dark. It is the first thing I noticed. The sky however is beautiful.

Diane Miller
04-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Very nice! The silhouette effect of the tree works for me, but I'm wondering about a gradient burn on the brighter ground in the LL.

Morkel Erasmus
04-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the comments & suggestions folks.
The tree looks just right to me as there's detail there?
Will try and darken the ground below it, Diane!

Grady Weed
04-18-2016, 07:02 PM
Morkel, Just to be clear. I was referring to the bush like tree to the left of it, not the one with branches. I think the tree with branches is just right for the setting.

Andrew McLachlan
05-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Hi Morkel, a lovely scene, well presented. Lots of nice little splashes of colour throughout the sky that work very well for this scene. I am okay with the trees on the left...too much detail would appear unnatural to me.