PDA

View Full Version : Wall of Blackbirds

Chris Zink
06-10-2008, 02:19 PM
This is another image I shot at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in November 2007. The idea was to show the movement of this flock of birds as they rose to move to another area to feed. I would like to know whether I accomplished that, and what you would change to make it better. I suspect that there is a bit too much noise, but I am not sure whether that detracts, given the desire to show movement. Thanks everyone, you are really helping me!

Info: Nikon D200, 1/80 sec, f9, ISO 500, 200-400 mm f4 lens at 280 mm

Alfred Forns
06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
One of my favorite type images !!!!

First of all take advantage and lower your ISO, dof is not important at all here so make it wide open and high enough ISO for the desired shutter speed !!!

The shutter speed needed is dependent on how far the birds are from you, speed and direction of movement. I like the selected 1/80th very much. It captures enough detail in the birds and blurs the bg !!!

One think to look for in these type images is a clean edges. Like to have no birds at the edge top and bottom ideally or at least at the bottom. If you clone out the few merging the image will change drastically. Also at times you can get solid walls of birds. They congregate and blast at regular intervals.

I like it a lot and you did manage the desired effect very well !!! Big Congrats on this one !!!!

Chris Zink
06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
OK, I cloned out some of the birds on the bottom. Left the ones on the sides because a) there were too many, and b) I feel it gives continuity, like the birds are flying in and out of the image. I agree it looks better this way.

Alfred Forns
06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
The ones in front and back don't seem to make that much of a difference but top bottom do !!! When I get home will post one of my RRBB for comparison under this post !!!

Chris Zink
06-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Oops! Sorry to take the bandwidth - I should have taken the mergers off the top too. Here is the 'final' version.

Chris

Alfred Forns
06-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Without the cut off birds it looks more finished !!! I like it !!!

Alfred Forns
06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Here is what I was talking about Aim the camera down a bit to have a clean lower edge. As far as the top as you can see is not possible in this instance

Another variation is using a slow shutter speed say 1/4 sec and let the birds fly up in the frame !!! Neat !

Desmond Chan
06-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Great image ! I like to have one of my own some day.