PDA

View Full Version : Common Potoo

Bill Dix
04-07-2016, 08:57 AM
I've photographed this species in the daytime before, and seen their eyes glowing at night, but this is the first time I've captured one at night. After leaving the Screech-Owl (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/134594-Tropical-Screech-Owl) we scanned the adjacent fields with the flashlight, and this guy's eyes glowed like beacons. Unfortunately he was some distance away, through chigger-infested scrub brush. With the guide's encouragement I shouldered the rig and made my way through the scrub in the dark, not wanting to spook the bird with the flashlight and trying not to think about Bushmasters. I had to guess where he was, and when I reached what I thought was a good spot I put down the tripod and found him with the light. I had approached much closer than I had thought, and I'm surprised he didn't vacate his post -- this is 90% of full height, shot vertically. With those huge eyes I'm sure he saw me perfectly well in the dark even though I couldn't see him. His appearance, and his name, conjure up some kind of cartoon character. Yes, a more natural perch might have been nice, but when fence posts are available, this is what they seem to like.

D7200, 1.4 TC, ISO 1250, 1/320s @ f/7.1 manual, SB-700 and BB @ -2.7 EV.

Jonathan Ashton
04-07-2016, 11:31 AM
A well earned shot if ever there was one! I think it is very unusual and also fascinating I like the shot - and your narrative. The fact it is on a fence post doesn't trouble me at all, there are plenty of birds that use fence posts in the UK and I would love to get them!

keith mitchell
04-07-2016, 01:28 PM
After the trouble and hard work you went to Bill I would not be worried about the bird being sitting on a fence post,you did very well to get passed those great big eyes without it leaving in a hurry,I personally would be very pleased with myself to get this shot.

Keith.

P-A. Fortin
04-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Funny looking bird. I really like it. I don't mind the "not-so-natural" perch, I'd be quite happy to get such an image.

Bill Dix
04-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Thanks guys.

Karl Egressy
04-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Cool looking bird. Nice capture of it Bill.

Bill Dix
04-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Thanks Karl.

Marina Scarr
04-09-2016, 02:52 PM
I think I like this one even better than the one I just commented on above. I liked that pose but the head is better visualized here. Good flash work.

Bill Dix
04-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Thank you Marina. I like this one better too. I was amazed that I was able to capture him.