PDA

View Full Version : Theme A Little Uneasy

Gabriela Plesea
04-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Kalahari, February 2016.

I had this uneasy feeling, watching this lioness approach. Only relaxed when she walked past the vehicle, eyes down, uninterested. I soon realised those wild eyes were not looking at me, something else caught her eye somewhere in the distance - I just happened to be in the way.

An old lady lioness with a wild penetrating look. So powerful and lean she was! I was - of course - glad I was not the subject of her attention...

Nikon D4
Nikon 500 F4
ISO 5000
F5.6
1/1000s

Image captured at six thirty am, the sun barely was barely peeping over the dunes. Processed in LR and PSCC, cropped 20% off the original frame. Exposure adj, levels, curves, all selectively. D/B.

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my previous images, much appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Glennie Passier
04-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Gabriela, I would be uneasy too if this girl was heading in my direction! I love the intent stare, right at you and the ears back are the biggest story teller for me. She is watching and listening for every movement. You have captured this in true Gabriela style. The mid ground foliage and the early morning sun just kissing her side is just beautiful, as is the composition. No nits at all.

Very beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Rachel Hollander
04-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Hi Gabriela - That stare will send shivers right through you. Really like the placement in frame, the walking pose and the bit of light hitting the lioness. Nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
04-07-2016, 05:20 AM
Hi Gabriela -- This looks just so deadly , what a look she gave you ! I liked the framing and the early morning feel to the whole scene. Love to see the big cats on the prowl . I might slightly come in from the top but not a deal breaker .

TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
04-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Hi Gabriela i absolutely love this old lady .... what a intense stare .
Gorgeous KTP light and setting .Well framed and lovely pastel tone and colors .
You have chosen the right aperture for a perfect DOF :cheers:.
If you have worked on the eyes ... i might temper your edit on them , as i feel they do pop a tad too much for my liking , if this is not done then you have a stunning clarity in them !!!!

Love it , a pleasure to view .

TFS yours Buthi from G

Jonathan Ashton
04-07-2016, 11:41 AM
I love this shot I like the subdued colours and the angled light. She certainly looks athletic - love the muscle tone!
I wondered what a little tonal contrast would do, here's a repost I hope you don't mind, I think it lifts it slightly but perhaps you think it is a little natural WDYT??

Gabriela Plesea
04-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Thank you Glennie, Rachel, Haseeb, Andreas and Jon:)

Myself and Andre were fortunate to have had a number of lovely sightings during our recent KTP trip. Every now and then I go back to those folders and feel inspired to process an image I wasn't so excited about in the beginning. Here I liked the way the vegetation "framed" the lioness from the sides, as well as her serious look - it almost looked as if she was interested in me:)

Andreas, all I did was slightly lift exposure on the eyes, the sharpening took care of the rest I think.

Jon, I like what you did, very much. Subtle but makes a difference - thank you, I do appreciate it:5

Mmm...she is indeed a big strong cat and in great condition, a girl with some life experience and probably lots of practice when it comes to hunting, LOL. Wondering just how many generations of cubs this girl brought up...

Kind regards,

Carl Walker
04-08-2016, 09:24 AM
Hi Gabriela. Love the softness of this image. You're right the eyes are really intense and focused. Great image

Gabriela Plesea
04-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Thank you so much Carl!

Will see what else I can find among those recent KTP folders, hopefully more predators for this month's Theme.

BTW, thank you for viewing and commenting on my last thread in Story Sequences Forum, very kind of you Boetie.

Have a wonderful week-end,

Karl Egressy
04-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Great image, Love the composition, light and the stare is very powerful (and scary).

keith mitchell
04-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Gabriela it's the lovely light on the side of the Lion that makes this fine image for me you have caught it perfectly.Think i might have mentioned before but it must be a great thrill to have these animals coming towards you and getting a great shot just a bonus.

Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
04-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Thank you Karl and Keith:S3:

Sorry to be so quiet this week-end, just got back from a little trip and still busy unpacking:) It has been a pleasure reading your comments, much appreciated!

I must emphasise that the KTP lions and lionesses have never shown any aggression towards us. We are on our best behaviour and quiet as mice when in their company. I was very lucky here to capture this expression from this female and I do have a few more from this sighting, will share as soon as I process:)

Wishing you a wonderful week ahed,

Steve Kaluski
04-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Hi Gabriela, this is a belter of an image, excellent choice of DoF, love the way she appears through the diffused scrub, nice light too. Good choice in off setting the subject!
ISO 5000, great and the camera is still working :bg3:, it might inspire others to push it, but you know not to go over 8000, or beyond! :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
04-17-2016, 05:22 PM
Good evening, and thank you so much, Steve!

Appreciate your kind words:)

I will try keep it up (including ISO if needed)

Warmest regards,