PDA

View Full Version : A look into the big big world

Andreas Liedmann
04-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Hi folks another Hanuman Langur infant from my recent trip .
Image taken under worse conditions in Bandhavgarh NP in India , just look at the extraordinary techs :bg3:.
They have been very cooperative , just sitting and watching us .... but i made so many mistakes during this shooting ..... ggrrhhh !!!!
Light was at its best :eek3: , absolutely clear view :w3, sitting still infant :Whoa!: , nobody in the car apart from me was moving :bugeyed:...... so perfect conditions .... but the grey socked german run down most of the shots :wave:.
A nightmare i say afterwards , so many shots where the focus went onto the mothers body instead of the infants head ........ blame the AF system or the operator !!!!
Was so much fun to watch this little guy when he discovered us and / or his surroundings ... but never left mummy .
But as it was most of the time .... we left for the virtual tigers :tinysmile_shy_t: , that did not appear that often as the Hanuman :t3
So afterwards i take it easy and enjoy the low quality images of this short but intense session , might share another one later .

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 200 - 400 IS L with TC engaged ( 728 mm with the 1,3 crop factor of the MK IV )
HH

F 6,3 ; Iso 12800 ; 1/1600 sec as you can see i really pushed the MK IV to its limits .

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; cropped for comp from all sides slightly .

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous thread

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
04-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Oh Boetie Andreas! The pain you must have gone through. What nightmare indeed, I feel for you.

The Hanuman is such a beautiful and interesting species and surely delightful to watch. But under such conditions I would have laid down my photographic equipment and took the videocamera out of its pouch.

I think your Canon equipment has performed well under the conditions, but only so much you could do when everything was against you. A touching look from the little one and some lovely eye contact, wondering if possible to painstakingly remove those branches as I am afraid they do not add to the frame. I would try sharpening the face of the baby a tad more, WDYT?

Time you came back to Mother Africa, Boetie. Only five months to go, get packing:w3

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
04-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Hi Andreas - This hobby of ours can certainly be frustrating at times. Sorry to hear about the issues. I like the look to camera here but overall this isn't really working for me. Too many distracting elements between you and the subject and extending high into the frame. Techs were tough too. Sorry

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
04-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Hi ANdreas -- I agree with what Rachel has to say , though i liked the little one looking in the Camera but the distracting elements are weighing in high here. Also i find it a bit soft the high iso should be the main reason but a round of sharpening will help but overall not an image of high quality that we are used to see from you. Sorry .

TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
04-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Thanks Gabriela , Rachel and Haseeb ..... for sure not the best frame i have posted :wave: and i know for sure about the issues ....:w3 but nevertheless i posted it .
Gabriela i have no video ..... so i took the shots , and dealt with it half way decent .
Haseeb and Rachel .... please do not forget this is the MK IV pushed to 12800 Iso ... so no wonder about the IQ . The shrub in FG ..... nothing i could have done about them ... not ideal i know , but instead of not shooting i took the shots regardless of them .
As this was the only female that allowed us to shoot close ups without turning away after a few seconds :bg3: , so take what you can get .They were so relaxed that we stayed few minutes .
But as stated in my intro the whole thing was less than ideal .

Thanks again , Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
04-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Andreas, my dear Boetie...I am certain you dealt with this in the best way, as you always do. It is perfectly framed by the way, albeit the sticks get in the way. This just shows me how difficult the conditions were. I would not be surprised if you told me there was movement in the vehicle at the time you took this, possibly commotion on the part of the guide/driver, or your companions?

What grabs me here is probably the same thing that grabbed you at the scene: the expression of bewilderment from the little one. Also, those hands and feet, call them limbs if you wish, they look so human to me. The way the subject is resting. What looks like "pursed lips" from this young Langur...He seems surprised, speechless, frozen. Perhaps he has just become aware of the resemblance between his own species and humans?

Good night Boetie, have a wonderful day tomorrow:wave:

Andre Pretorius
04-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Hi Andreas

He certainly seems tight lipped with those deep pools in the eyes...
Not bad IQ at 12800.
How big was the crop?
Why 1/1600, he was not moving?
Yes, not too much detail and sharpness, isn't ISO to blame? (give your Grey socks a break..)
Soon in Africa, no Gypsies, you will be in a Landy!

Stuart Philpott
04-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Andreas,for me an education/ massive inspiration in what you, a guy with huge technique can aquire as a photographer,in very tricky conditions,with the same camera that I use. Really mind blowing for me buddy.

Andreas, you know that a softy like me is going to love this already ahh those eyes I could stare for hours mate. The security of mum,how he's she's (little one) is clinging with both foot and hand is so beguiling for me. Sorry for being slow to this,I have looked many times and today have made it a mission to make sure I get some replies out,this my friend is just so sensitive I really love it. I know you can make better with more detail etc,but again you captured this special moment which has brought me joy and a smile, in incredibly difficult conditions. I don't know how to say thanks SO much for posting in a better way buddy. An inspiration for what can be and a tender moment captured
what more could a wanna be wildlife photographer ask for:5
take care

Stu