PDA

View Full Version : Croc with Breakfast ( Catfish )

Stu Bowie
04-06-2016, 02:09 PM
I visited the Pilanesberg National Park recently, and came away with this fairly large Croc enjoying his breakfast. I posted an image in the avian forum of a Pied Kingfisher with his breakfast from the hide, and this was captured from the same hide. Ive cropped away quite a bit from the RHS to eliminate the edge of the water that was very muddy and not adding much to the overall scene.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 II +1.4 TC = 420mm
1/2000
F/7.1
ISO 800

Manual exposure.
Hand held.

Andre Pretorius
04-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Hi Stu

Think this was captured in harsh light.
Exposure well handled.

Crop works for me.

Bit over sharpened on lights.
Suggest you reduce blues in shadow below jaw.

Love this capture!

Gabriela Plesea
04-06-2016, 04:02 PM
A very good evening dear Stu:)

Nice techs and you handled what looks like harsh light very well, good exposure and sharpness as well as framing.

The subject shows some menacing teeth, poor Catfish did not have a chance to escape its powerful grip! I like the water droplets coming off the crocodile's teeth and the string of blood mixed with saliva adds more drama. So does the struggle of the victim, even more obvious if one pays attention to the reflection ( is that the tip of its tail sticking out of the water?)

Stu, if this were mine I would perhaps go back on the sharpening (back of the crocodile) and take care of a few bright spots, otherwise a truly stunning behavioural capture and some wonderful PP work! I am delighted with your presence in the Wildlife Forum, thank you so much for your contribution, truly enjoyed viewing:5

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
04-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Hi Stu - Love the raised up croc and the breakfast is a bonus. Yes, the light looks a bit harsh. You concentrate on the birds in the good light, right? Agree with Andre about the sharpening and the HLs. One I would be happy to have.

TFS,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
04-06-2016, 10:54 PM
You concentrate on the birds in the good light, right? Agree with Andre about the sharpening and the HLs.

Thanks Rachel. I concentrate on any subject in good light. :w3 Believe me, if this guy was active at the same time I shot my Green Heron, I would have had the same result. :w3

Thank you Andre and Gaby for your feedback too.

haseeb badar
04-07-2016, 06:41 AM
Hi Stu -- What a great moment ! You have handled the harsh light superbly , i too find it is a bit too much of sharpening but nice IQ and the crop works well for me . TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
04-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Great timing Stu, as ever wonderful details, that skin on the croc really is amazing, exposure looks spot on to me well done.

Carl Walker
04-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Always nice to capture some different behaviour. I think you did very well here Stu.TFS

Steve Kaluski
04-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Hi Stu, you nailed it, so did he! Good techs, but if you meet me at the airport you can try the 8-15mm Fisheye, as I think there is room to get closer, Colleen can return it on your behalf! :bg3:

TFS
Steve