Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/1250
Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 2000
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x III
Focal Length 700.0mm

I was as surprised as you when I saw the shutter speed,, normally I lock the settings but in this case I forgot, I think I had just made a grab shot of something passing by and had reset the Auto ISO then when I switched back to Auto ISO I must have also altered the shutter speed which was previously either 1/1600 or 1/2000 sec. The linnets are beginning to develop their breeding colours, as the days pass they are becoming increasingly colourful.... more to come!

christopher galeski
04-06-2016, 03:46 AM
nice one John,great BG and perch,good take off pose,well done.

keith mitchell
04-06-2016, 04:20 AM
Beautiful bit of action with the blurred wings and the bird sharp where it needs to be,plant and that nice bg all blend together nicely,like this Jon.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
04-06-2016, 05:44 AM
Hi Jon, a bit more SS, 1/3200 I think would nail it better, conservative on that ISO, push it as I think the head would be a fraction sharper. Are you using single, expanded or all points as I think this may be helpful with the MKII and gaining more DoF? Yet again, a killer backdrop, lovely sympathetic colours and I really like the 'perch'. Seems to be very much in balance with the subject, although personally I would remove that one stem by you ©.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
04-06-2016, 06:16 AM
Steve I tend to take a shot or two with one point then single point surround and then sometimes vice versa - no simple answer sometimes one is better than the other.
I agree regarding shutter speed - you have seen my excuse and I am sticking to it:bg3: Also agree about the small stem I did remove it -I did two conversions and then left it in the one I posted! Hoping to get more in better light, and with brighter colours!

Steve Kaluski
04-06-2016, 06:24 AM
Jon, the image is still far better than I would get!

Just curious about the FP's having had a conversation with a good friend and shooting Hares. I must admit, you are nailing those backdrops, absolutely gorgeous, the muted light really works and in turn helps on the exp too, no hotspots. Look forward to seeing more.

Stu Bowie
04-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Hi Jon, very well timed for the take off, and Im sure you have the next frame too. I like the different lines in this, perch angled to the right, bird taking off to the left. Thats a killer BG.