PDA

View Full Version : Its all about the light.

Stu Bowie
04-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Visiting Pilanesberg on Easter Monday, this was my first shot captured, and this fellow only allowed two shots before he flew off. The sun was just rising and Ive decided to leave the 'cast' from the light as shot. Our Green Herons have had their name changed here in SA to Striated Heron.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 500 F/4 II +1.4 TC = 700mm
1/800
F/5.6
ISO 800

Exp comp +0.33
Hand held

Steve Kaluski
04-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Hi Stu, would not like to workout the WB on this one :w3.

It's amazing how the sun just floods the whole image and dominates the complete scene, hate to think you strapped this perch to the car and drove down to Pilanesburg :S3:.

I like it because it shows what light can do. Nice framing and positioning of the subject, I also like the the LH branch being vertical, for me it anchors the image. BTW does the DoF just tail off at the top?

Nice one Stu.

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
04-05-2016, 02:55 PM
BTW does the DoF just tail off at the top?

Thanks Steve. Yep, it does look like it. Unfortunately, there are no small perches around the hide in Pilanesberg. :w3

Rachel Hollander
04-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Hi Stu - That gorgeous Pilanesberg light is becoming your trademark. I agree with Steve about the nice framing and the perch anchoring the image. Nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

Joseph Przybyla
04-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Gorgeous light, that makes the image special. That bird looks so much like the Green Heron here. Thank you for sharing.

christopher galeski
04-06-2016, 03:52 AM
Beautiful light on this nice image,love the perch and BG,nice detail.TFS.

keith mitchell
04-06-2016, 04:24 AM
Stu it's a pity you can't bottle that light you could make a fortune,it looks like it helps a lot with the lovely feather detail,very nice indeed.

Keith.

John Robinson
04-06-2016, 09:37 AM
Excellent picture Stu
I must admit that with my colour problem I always wonder when a colour becomes a cast and a cast becomes a colour.! If you know what I mean. I,ve had lots of shots taken in early or late light then messed around trying to remove it - worrying about a cast that I,ve ended up ruinig them !
Any way you have a great shot here.
John

Ritesh Nangare
04-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Beautiful soft Light ....

Love Exposer here with soft golden light and beautiful soft creamy BG.... The search is awesome...

TFS...

Stu Bowie
04-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Thank you all so much for the feedback. Gotta love the light at this location. :w3