PDA

View Full Version : Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle

Stephen Stephen
06-10-2008, 11:51 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Insect/BEETLE2.jpg

I created this image last year shortly after purchasing my macro lens. I found the beetle in our home and moved it to our neighbours' French Lilac bush for a more realistic setting. The thing never stopping moving so I couldn't use a tripod or even compose the image.

Canon Rebel XT, Sigma EX APO 105mm DG Macro Handheld with Fill flash. I don't have the specs with me but will try and post them later. Cropped to about 60% of full frame.

Bob Allen
06-10-2008, 07:44 PM
The insect is beautiful, the angle good, & focus Ok. You nicely captured the punctures (pits) in the head, pronotum, & elytra. Its tarsal pads are huge and wonderful. I can see diagnostic features, so the shot is certainly field-guide quality (my primary photographic goal ). It's quite a challenge to follow [I]rapidly-moving arthropods, isn't it?

I have some constructive suggestions, firm but supportive. Other folks' opinions may vary.

Good focus on the eye but it takes the nearest antenna out of focus, so more dof would be nice. The antennae were probably in motion the entire time, as most Chrysomelids do.

I think I would crop the light stem/leaf entirely out of the left side. Its brightness is distracting.

The flash is pretty harsh. That's always a problem with shiny critters. A soft box on your flash would help, like Lumiquest, Stofen, etc. Better yet, get diffuser material that you cut to size and tape over the flash, as I do. In a pinch, you can use toilet tissue draped over the flash. B&H sells the diffuser material, as B&H# OMDSP. My local camera store stocks it.

I also use a polarizer on extremely shiny arthropods & plants. You might try it out.

And of course, for true realism, shooting the insect on its natural foodplant would be the best perch.

Would be nice to have lighter bg behind the insect's head. If only we could communicate this to the insect so that it would walk to the right place and stay there for a bit ;7)

Your camera's sensor is dirty. The dust spots in the image can be cloned out in Photoshop or Aperture. Have it cleaned or learn how to do it yourself, it's not difficult, but is a bit unnerving the first time. See:
http://www.birdsasart.com/lenspens.htm

Keep shooting & sharing!

Stephen Stephen
06-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Bob thanks very much for all the great comments. I love the look of the tarsal pads as well. As I mentioned in my original post the beetle wouldn't stand still for a second. It's a wonder that I created any images at all. I know that I've got a lot to learn about macro photography but I think that I had the lens for about 3 days at the time that I created this image.

I agree with your DOF and the harsh flash comments. The diffuser tip is something that I'll have to try. I've since learned that macro photography often requires quite high F-stops (16-22) as well if you want a whole insect in focus.

Here's a modified version of the original. I've cropped it as suggested, removed the dust spots (the sensor has been cleaned for quite some time but I forgot about the image :o) and tried to play with the contrast a bit to reduce the glare a tad. I haven't really achieved a great improvement but at least I'll know for next time. Thanks again! :D

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Insect/SwampMilkweedBeetle.jpg

Mike Moats
06-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Hey Stephen, the repost works much better, and Bob as given you some great tips. As far as the hot spot from the flash you can try and clone it out. Bob makes a good point about type of images we shoot. Are you after field guide shots, which show the bug in full detail along with its environment whcih may get cluttered, or are you after something more artistic with the standard blurred background. When shooting field guide shots let us know your intentions,as I think most here are giving advice for a more artistic look.

Stephen Stephen
06-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks Mike. I never even thought about cloning it out. DOOOH!!!

As far as posting field guide shots I can honestly say that I never even thought about it. I was just trying to capture the image of an interesting looking beetle that I had never seen and, try out a new lens.

I'm really having fun learning from so many great photographers.

Bob Allen
06-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I wish my 3rd day with a macro lens was this good! It seems that with the instant feedback of digital, the learning curve is much shorter than with film.

The repost is a lot better, IMHO. Careful... if you plan on cloning out the flash highlights. The placement of the punctures (tiny pits) on the elytra is important, they are not random (those on the pronotum are +/- random).

Nice work!

Gus Cobos
06-12-2008, 06:47 AM
I like the repost with the crop; much better...congrats...:cool: