PDA

View Full Version : Blue-winged Kookaburra portrait

Gerhard Weldhagen
04-04-2016, 07:04 AM
Blue-winged Kookaburras are native to Australia`s Top End and can become very used to humans in recreational areas. This portrait was created with a handheld Canon 7D2, EF 300 IS II + 2xTCIII, f8, 1/2500, 1250 during a bright sunny afternoon. DPP 4 / CS 6, 50% crop. Thanks for looking and your comments.

John Robinson
04-04-2016, 08:50 AM
I love close ups and this is a cracker ! I like tyhese birds as well. I always try to make them laugh in wildlife parks etc. Good fun but folks look at you a bit funny.
Superb detail.
JohnR

Daniel Cadieux
04-04-2016, 11:07 AM
I love the eye and the detail within the dof. Good BG. I'd have preferred a bit less turn towards us - that would have minimized the lack of dof on the bill. Perhaps a tad more room above (and then both sided to retain the ratio). I do like it a lot, it shows this fellas personality quite well!

Steve Kaluski
04-04-2016, 01:49 PM
I'd have preferred a bit less turn towards us - that would have minimized the lack of dof on the bill.

Spot on observation in the Critique Dan, agree, the colour palette is great too. Gerhard have you done any work under the bill, or is it just DoF?

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
04-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Gerhard eye and feather detail are lovely ,did wonder about the bill when I looked earlier but I think Dan and Steve have about answered it for me.

These birds where experts at pinching our sausages on our trip we soon learned to cover them up.

Keith.

William Dickson
04-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Great detail here Gerhard. I love the facial expression and the eye. Wished the tip of the bill had been in focus, but not easy. Very nice as is.

Will

Gerhard Weldhagen
04-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Spot on observation in the Critique Dan, agree, the colour palette is great too. Gerhard have you done any work under the bill, or is it just DoF?

TFS
Steve

Just DOF - the eye to bill tip length in Blue-winged Kookaburras would exceed the DOF at f 8 with this head angle.

Stu Bowie
04-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Hi Gerhard, excellent detail around the eye, it looks like a marble - great work there.