PDA

View Full Version : Theme Bengal Tiger

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-02-2016, 01:34 PM
A tiger strolled out into the open at dusk at TATR reserve, Tadoba, India. Light was very low but got a clear shot without too much of distracting foliage.
1/160 (should have upped that ISO even more to gain more SS in hind sight)
f/4
ISO 6400
5D III
500 II

Gabriela Plesea
04-03-2016, 03:15 AM
Hello Sanjeev,

A very special sighting of this rare animal. Nice POV and lovely expression from the tiger. I feel the image is a bit thin, the tiger needs more "life" from tonality POV. More SS would have helped but nothing you can do about it now. Good news is, the face of the tiger is quite sharp and stands out quite nicely. Love those beautiful eyes and the pink nose, this fellow is quite young and in great condition.

I borrowed your image to have a closer look and try a couple of things, btw I noticed something that looks "man-made" on the LHS of the frame, kindly check? A humble attempt from me and I am not 100% happy with it, I would have liked a warmer feel to the image overall.

Kind regards,

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Hi Sanjeev, great to see a Tiger amongst all the African predators, but overall the image looks flat and no depth or sparkle for such a Majestic animal as this, not up to your usual standard. Not sure if you monitor needs a quick calibration or something else, but I would suggest if you have time to refresh the RAW.

To me, from recollection things are vibrant, rich and likes the vegetation, but as Andreas has been there recently I'm sure he will come up with some more additional thoughts.

TFS
Steve

PS Just my take too. :w3

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2016, 07:46 AM
hi Sanjeev ....... OMG would i have loved to get a situation like this in Bandhavgarh during my recent trip .:eek3:
I am close to share none of my stuff ...... all crap from my POV .
Regarding this , having your intro mind , i think you have done well regarding tone and color . But for sure this is all relative and up to personal taste .There is room to play with tone and color ... for sure and i see where Steve and Gabriela are coming from and i partially agree with their observations .
Steve has some sunlit setting in mind when i look at his RP ...... well as this was not sunlit rather a low light morning / evening shot in deep forest ...... i would expect to see lower contrast / color / richness .
But for sure as Steve mentioned all up to personal taste , so nothing " wrong " with his rich RP ..... does look more attractive than your OP , but i guess far away from original capture .

Back to your image ... lovely low angle and the approaching majesty is looking great . Love the wider framing as well , and you did well with the low SS .

Very nice one , TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
04-03-2016, 08:11 AM
Hi Sanjeev - Fantastic walking pose out of the forest habitat. Nice pov too. Any more room below? With respect to the tones and warmth, as the others have said this is a personal choice as to whether you wish to portray the conditions as you remember them or to deviate from them in favor of something perhaps more pleasing to the viewer. Btw I see that your flash did not go off but the eyes give the impression of being flashed perhaps by someone else's camera.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2016, 08:27 AM
tiger strolled out into the open at dusk at TATR reserve, Tadoba, India.

Yes, I did take it a different direction, however even at dusk, I still feel there would be a bit more colour depth, this to me is bordering on what I might expect from the straight RAW, very flat with minimal colour, but again just my take.

Morkel Erasmus
04-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Nice opportunity here Sanjeev!
Looks sharp for the SS used. From what I've seen of the Mk3 files I don't think I would have pushed past ISO6400 but each has their own threshold. That's as far as the D800 can go in any case for me.
I like Steve's rendition colour wise - I do think both versions can go a tad darker?

haseeb badar
04-04-2016, 12:12 AM
Hi Sanjeev -- Nice head on view of the Tiger ! Just to add here , I think what Steve did with his RP is more pleasing and presentable being all matter of personal preference , your OP appeared to me like straight out of the camera file . TFS !

keith mitchell
04-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Sanjeev think you did very well getting this shot and I personally would be very pleased with your OP ,have enjoyed looking at the different reposts and there input into your image with the different points of view,

Keith.