PDA

View Full Version : Theme My Land !!

Carl Walker
04-02-2016, 08:06 AM
I was caught off guard here as I had already packed all my gear away as we were getting ready to make our way back to the camp. Andre and Gabs were shooting away at the rhino but my view of them was obstructed by some small shrubs. So when this male suddenly appeared it was a mad scramble for the camera and I just shot some images with the settings I had used previously before I eventually got it sorted. So many of my images are not that sharp. As my funny friend has challenged me :2eyes2:I have tried to work with something reasonable. Little more sharpening here perhaps!!!!!

The rhino flies are just out of control now with this drought so there is a lot of them in our images. They are a PITA as they bite too.

The ss is too slow I know!! It's almost FF but I cropped slightly on both sides. There is no NR here but if it was worth it I may have done some work here. Pity about the paws too but what can one do.

So folks feel free to comment. All C & C welcome and appreciated.

1Dmk4
500 f4 mk II + 1,4 extender
iso - 3200, f6,3, 1/800sec
Bean bag

Rachel Hollander
04-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Hi Carl - You did extremely well in the scramble. Love the light here, the walking pose and the raised tail. The tones and colors look great. I don't think you need any NR. Well done and it's great to have you back commenting and posting.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
04-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Mad scramble must have been exciting with this magnificent beast heading your way Carl,in my eyes the sharpness looks fine but will look forward to reading the views of others,love the feel of these African shots ,lovely work.

Keith.

Andre Pretorius
04-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Hi Carl

Love Your land!
You were lower- the POV is a killer!
Pose stunning with tail up, the colours are as I remember them.
Yes the feet, but in return you have the lower angle..
Sharpening is fine, IMHO.
Stunning Buthi!

Andreas Liedmann
04-02-2016, 11:08 AM
Hi Karl long time no see .....:bg3: , warm welcome back from my side .
A killer frame i think .
Lov the low POV and the overall evening mood . The pose with the curled up tail is great .
All together making this a great image ... nice work my friend .
No more NR needed .... i just can see a bit more tonal depth . :w3 as per my RP .
Multiplied red channel ( with itself ) at 50 % opacity plus 50 % multiplied strong HL .

WDYT ?

Cheers and TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
04-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Isn't he awesome, golden mane and all?

Good evening Carl - I absolutely love the way you have captured this lion, there's something so noble about him and so powerful! It cannot get better than this when it comes to POV, I now fear the others will suspect us all of lying on the ground at this sighting, so thanks for clarifying things:)

The colours are spot-on and lovely detail, IQ looks great. I agree with Rachel, no NR needed. Love the little insects hovering around the subject and the vegetation behind him is not too much, you could burn a bit those brighter bits if you so wish.

Just for interest' sake, you will remember we came upon the same lion, I think it was the day before, in the morning? Very different circumstances and he looked kind of placid and gentle. He was calling his lioness softly - not a roar, more a polite request as in "please do not walk away from me". He then got up and walked casually past our vehicle, mostly looking down. I only got a glance from him or two but by then he was too close, only his eyes and nose are present in those frames. Your image here presents such a different side of him and confirms the reputation of the species: lazy by day, hunter by night.

Truly superb image Carl. I find it so exciting, the three of us sharing images from the same trip. Despite having witnessed the same events, our images reflect very personal impressions of a given scene. So generous of you to share your land, and your lion's "land" with us - I had an awesome time, thank you my friend:5

Have a wonderful evening,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Super image Carl. Love the light and the walking pose with raised tail. Nice lowish angle as well. TFS.

haseeb badar
04-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Hi Carl -- Great image ! I loved that pose with the curled up tail and the low angle and colours makes this image for me . I liked Andreas RP giving it more depth . Hope to see more from you and TFS !

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2016, 06:32 AM
Hi Carl, great to see you pushing the ISO and not allowing the capture t slip throw you paws with low SS, well done. :cheers:

I think Andreas is right on pulling out a bit more 'richness' from the image, I also feel you are right on the border with the amount of FG. A sliver more perhaps, but personal taste. Any frames further on with he Lion looking to camera, that would have been the frame for me. Again, got to love that 'pendulum' tail.

I think you guys had some awesome encounters.

TFS
Steve

Basil Dardagan
04-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Love the image - the pov does sooo much to portray this beautiful specimens power and presence

Morkel Erasmus
04-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Killer angle, light and pose here Carl!
Good to see you posting again.
Where you lying on the ground? Or was it vehicle positioning to get you this POV?

Carl Walker
04-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. Morkel it was just the lay of the land and some vehicle positioning.