PDA

View Full Version : Calibrachoa

John Robinson
03-29-2016, 05:32 PM
Calibrachoa.
This Summer bedding plant actually got through the Winter and is flowering. Shows how the seasons are changing!!
Didnt take the stacks all the way through on this one hence the blurred back bits.
D7100
Sigma 50mm macro.
Tripod/remote release.
8 stacks in CZM
100 ISO
50th sec @f 5
Slight Crop.
Cheers
JohnR

Diane Miller
04-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Gorgeous detail against a soft BG! Tonalities and colors are well done -- or at least, they suit me fine.

I have a feeling of wanting to see the end of the buds leading off the right edge, but that may introduce too much business.

John Robinson
04-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Cheers
Diane- es I agree but they were cut off on the original due to size requirements etc. It might be easier to clone them out ?
John

Adhika Lie
04-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Hi John, gorgeous shot. The contrasting colors work for me, too: Very simple two complementary colors in an image. I am not too bothered by the buds going out of the border on the right. I think you might be able to get away with it by blurring it or letting it go OOF.

By the way, when you shoot this stack of pictures, how do you deal with lens breathing? I tried doing this recently and failed miserably.

John Robinson
04-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Hi Adhika
Interesting question. To be honest I,ve never thought about it.! I just set the 50mm lens on manual- start at the front of the subject, then turn it slightly till I get to the back of the subject( Or maybe not as far as the back as in this shot )
Maybe its just the system I use that doesn't produce the effect.
Cheers
John

Diane Miller
04-04-2016, 11:44 PM
Stacking software will resize and align each frame as needed for the slight difference in magnification as you move the focus points. I don't know the program John uses but it obviously deals with it well. Ron Conlon is the stacking guru here -- he can give you the best information, but as far as I know it's not something you ever have to worry about with the dedicated stacking programs.

Jonathan Ashton
04-05-2016, 01:38 AM
I am very impressed with this image, the colours are very pleasing and the DOF looks idyllic to me.

Adhika Lie
04-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Stacking software will resize and align each frame as needed for the slight difference in magnification as you move the focus points. I don't know the program John uses but it obviously deals with it well. Ron Conlon is the stacking guru here -- he can give you the best information, but as far as I know it's not something you ever have to worry about with the dedicated stacking programs.

I should give these software a try. I tried stacking a few photos from the last trip to Death Valley but I guess the software (in this case Affinity Photo) is smart to compensate rotational and linear motion but not smart enough to compensate for transformation (resizing due to the lens breathing).

Jonathan Ashton
04-05-2016, 10:08 AM
I use a focusing rack, the magnification stays constant, I still get variable results - must try harder!

John Robinson
04-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Adhika
There is no need to make this stacking complicated. It really is simple.
There are two programmes written by Mike Hadley. They are absolutely FREE with no catches or pop ups etc.
CZM was the earlier one he did which I still use sometimes to relieve the boredom.
Combine ZP was the later one which has some more complicated settings- but you don,t need to use them- well I don,t anyway.
Stick them both nin Google and you willm find the download site easily. If you get in a mess - contact me.

Jon- As a matter of interest I was told that using rails meant more bits to move - even a minute bit at that magnification.- and so spoil a stack. Butb I don't know. The free ones are plenty good enough for me.
I did some tests last night using stacking - versus- f18 single shot. The difference was incredible. The f18 stuff was visibly inferior. I,ll post a couple when I get around to it.
JohnR

Diane Miller
04-05-2016, 12:15 PM
I haven't used Combine ZP as is Windows-only, but I am consistently impressed by John's reaults. You can do it for free in PS but the results are currently best with Zerene Stacker. Helicon Focus, as of the last time I looked, was comparable to the PS results. The problem is when you have a very 3D stack where there is one object sticking out, such as the stamen (?) of a hibiscus. It will be so OOF in the images that catch the petals that the less sophisticated programs will give a blurry halo around it. As far as I know, Zerene is still best at eliminating that.

In Photoshop:
Load the images as a stack
Select all layers
Edit > Auto Align Layers (Will correct for focus breathing or other slight misalignment, but not always 101%)
Edit > Auto Blend Layers (Will choose the sharpest parts of each)
You can edit the masks for some of the more problematic spots if you are very patient

John Robinson
04-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Hi Diane/Adhika- yes, with the earlier version-CZM, you loaded the images, then just said "macro-do stack" and thats it. With the later version- Combine ZP, you load the images- then tellit to line up and asdjust each frame- then when its finished - do stack. There are various other techie bits as well. I,ve not really had a problem except when the odd rougue frame does a wobbly. If you can find it you can sometimes leave it out and it will be ok. I find its quicker to do another stack, so I always do plenty just in case.
Cheers
John