View Full Version : Chaffinch

William Dickson
03-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/640
ISO 2500

This is another from the same set up I had for the Tree Sparrow image.

Will

Mike Poole
03-29-2016, 05:51 PM
A classic Chaffinch pose Will, nicely captured. Although the tail falls out of focus it is not distractingly so, as is often the case with small songbirds, and retains a natural looking flow to the shot.

I think a little adjustment is needed, I tried reducing the saturation in the blues and warmed the shot up a little.

Mike

William Dickson
03-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Thanks for taking the time Mike. On my screen I prefer the original post. I will be calibrating my screen soon, so hopefully I will get the right 'balance'

Will

Geoffrey Montagu
03-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Excellent capture, William. Beautiful light with sharp detail. I too like the original post, but think the adjustments Mike has made improve the IQ.

Geoffrey

keith mitchell
03-30-2016, 02:50 AM
A very nice classic Chaffinch pose ,think Mikes repost is an better the OP does look a little over processed with the repost giving it a more natural look,just my personal view of course Will.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
03-30-2016, 03:41 AM
Hi Will, I just don't think the IQ is there on this one, likewise the SS. Blacks look a little clogged in parts and there appears to be some BKG in the tail feathers??? Why does the branch seem to loose colour/detail, after passing the subject at the back? However I prefer the BKH here to the previous posting. Also the OP just carry's too much blue, dominating the colours.

will be calibrating my screen soon, so hopefully I will get the right 'balance'

Will if you have the time, then do it today, otherwise you will be wasting your time as the postings will not reflect your hard work. You need to calibrate at least once a month, or when the software tells you, a key point in all PP.

FWIW just my take, not great, but it may provide some info if you compare side by side.

Steve

Karl Egressy
03-30-2016, 06:28 AM
Love the pose and the background is nice too, Will. I noticed the blue cast in the original and the reposts are better.

Stu Bowie
03-30-2016, 11:33 AM
Hi Will, what a lovely relaxed pose here, and I do like the multitude of colours on him. As I dont know the subject, I cant comment on the accuracy of the colours, but still like them as posted by others. Super BG too, with the splash of green from OOF leaves. Looks like you are enjoying your new toy. :w3

adrian dancy
03-30-2016, 01:39 PM
A nice pose and setting. I think that the crown and (semi) collar feathers are much too blue in the original post. The correct colour for this time of year is between Mike's and Steve's posts but slightly nearer to Mike's IMHO. A difficult call when you have variation between individual birds and lighting conditions.

William Dickson
03-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice and comments, all advice noted. Hi Steve, I have just finished the calibration. :S3: I used Spyder5 Elite.

Will

Steve Kaluski
03-30-2016, 02:04 PM
Hi Steve, I have just finished the calibration.

Will, so long as it's calibrated that's ALL that matters, keep it up to date and you'll be good to go, let it slip and it will come back an bite you :S3:, happy PP.

William Dickson
03-30-2016, 02:09 PM
This is a crop from the original, no processing, hope it helps :S3:

Will

Jim Crosswell
03-30-2016, 05:05 PM
I like the angle perch, pose, BG, details and Steve's repost works for me. Nice image Will.