Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/1250
Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 1600
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM

I could see this coming but unfortunately there was no way I could get both birds in the frame! I had been hovering between 1/1600 and 1/1250, the light was changing in the scale of things I shouldn't have bothered, it would have been better at 1/1600 or faster, it would have been sharper, still I thought it was worth a post. Hopefully there will be other opportunities.
All C&C welcome

William Dickson
03-29-2016, 02:54 PM
Hi Jon. Love the pose and the perch. the critical focus would appear to be on the tail area, as the head area is softer, maybe motion blur, but I wouldn't think so at 1/1250. would have liked a wee bit better HA. The BG colour fits nicely.

Will

Mike Poole
03-29-2016, 05:46 PM
I love the pose Jon, and the perch and BG are nigh on perfect. However, as you've already stated, there isn't quite that critical sharpness to the head that would be desirable. Still an interesting frame and good to see something different for a Stonechat - just not one for the wall.

Mike

Stu Bowie
03-30-2016, 06:20 AM
Hi Jon, never seen a Stone chat so aggressive, and you have timed the moment nicely. I do like the colours on the Stonechat, and that the bird is against the clean BG. Just enough 'perch' at the bottom.

Karl Egressy
03-30-2016, 06:29 AM
Nice pose, perch and background, Jon. I would apply one more round of sharpening to the bird only.

keith mitchell
03-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Sharpness bit well covered ,never seen a Stone chat in a pose like this Jon what caused the aggression? .

Keith.

adrian dancy
03-30-2016, 01:07 PM
What a shame about the sharpness...otherwise a superb pose and capture.

Jim Crosswell
03-30-2016, 05:07 PM
I like the shag carpet like perch, open beak, BG and composition. Sharpness mentioned. Nice image Jon.

Steve Kaluski
03-31-2016, 07:14 AM
Sadly Jon, looks like the FP was more on the tail rather than the eye/head and for me this would be a keeper only from an interest POV, but kudos it achieving what you did in the time. Nice colour palette and the open beak would have been a killer, but would have lost the stone wall (?) with more moss in the final presentation.

Hope you get the opportunity again soon.

TFS
Steve