PDA

View Full Version : Wild Sunset

Gabriela Plesea
03-29-2016, 01:43 PM
It is hard to explain in words how Carl, Andre and myself felt when this majestic male appeared on the horizon. He was as defiant, as powerful and as noble as only a lion can be. Almost ill-tempered. I think Carl referred to him as "frisky" at some stage. Do not know how to describe this scene better, I speak for myself when I say a sense of awe descended on me, one that almost shaded into a desire to worship this wild creature. My mind is still intoxicated with him.

This is to me not just about the predator in the frame, but the gorgeous sunset that contributes to create the beauty and impression of power about him. The earth beneath his feet seemed like a giant altar and he walked with a confidence I have rarely seen, his face and mane lit up with the brilliant yellows and reds of the last light.

I often try to add warmth to those images taken at this late hour (H 17:38), this time I had to fight the temptation to remove it. I did tone down some of the reds and yellows when processing for the second time, but only a tad. Cropped from the top and bottom and a tad from the sides, the bit of wood on the LHS did not bother me so I left it in. Processed in LR, a few adjustments in PSCC, no NR, sharpened for web.

Nikon D4
Nikon 500mm F4
ISO 2000
F5
1/1000s
-0.3 EV
Shot from game vehicle, HH.

Perhaps not my best image but I sincerely hope you enjoy the scene, I usually term such experience as a "spot of time". Heartfelt thanks to our dear friend Carl Walker who made this possible. Sir - your knowledge of the wild is amazing and your respect for those creatures humbles both myself and Andre, we have so much to learn from you.

Thank you all for viewing and comments on my previous posts, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Steve Kaluski
03-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Hi Gabriela, this is a very cool image with a regal beast too!!!

Love the POV as the FG leads you to, 'a man on a mission' set in his own environment, well framed. The light is awesome here, well controlled and also nicely processed to maximise the capture. Based on the posted image, I might suggest +20 Contrast in LR. Not a problem for Nikon as much as for Canon, I think it just defines things more? The swish of the tail is well timed, likewise the pressing of the shutter!!! Glad to hear someone else applies no NR at ISO2000 :S3:.

Perhaps not my best image but I sincerely hope you enjoy the scene

I think you are doing yourself an injustice, overall this is an excellent image Gabriela. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Joseph Przybyla
03-29-2016, 04:52 PM
Lovely image and memory, thank you for sharing, Gabriela.

Mike Poole
03-29-2016, 06:21 PM
I think you've done yourself a dos-service here Gabriela, as for me this is one of my favourites from you.

The low POV is something often missing from big cat shots, as for obvious reasons you can't just lie o the ground as they walk past like, say, a squirrel, but it adds massively to the shot.

The light is just to die for and the side lighting adds so much atmosphere. The framing shows off the scene beautifully, he looks powerful in his setting, but not lost within the frame, and the tail flick provides that last bit of interest.

Mike

Rachel Hollander
03-29-2016, 07:09 PM
Hi Gabriela - I absolutely love this one. Beautiful light hitting a majestic animal and a bit of habitat with negative space to round it all out. The comp and placement of the lion works extremely well. The fact that it was coming over the ridge so that the distant bg has given nice bokeh is an added bonus. Love the tail up and the slightly cocked head and open mouth. It just ticks all the boxes for me and once again you are way too hard on yourself.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
03-30-2016, 03:00 AM
Gabriela don't believe what I read(Perhaps not my best image but I sincerely hope you enjoy the scene) this is truly beautiful,that soft light really lights up this scene .I know we all strive to do our very best but don't be to hard on yourself.

Keith.

Loi Nguyen
03-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Hi Gabriela, love this one. The light on the lion is gorgeous and the rise in the ground gave you the low POV. Just not sold on the pano crop. Wonder if you would be willing to post a full frame version of his image for people to comment. TFS. Loi

Gabriela Plesea
03-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Many thanks Steve, Joe, Mike, Rachel and Keith!

Steve, many thanks for the tip, I applied some contrast, here is an RP- is this what you had in mind? And you are pulling my leg about the NR, LOL. I have been told so many times that the BG is too smooth, I feel I have to inform everyone whether I have done something to it or not:)

I am so happy with your feedback, friends. Rachel, in all honesty I was not sure how this was going to be received. I so look forward to Andre and Carl's posts, we all have similar frames from this sighting but it will be interesting to see how we all interpret the scene, how we deal with the light, techs, PP work, everything. We are planning to meet some evenings and compare images, do some work together - a workshop, in other words. Very excited about this as we can all learn from each other and improve our skills.

Mike and Keith, you are just too kind. I know I am hard on myself but it is the only way I can improve. I am very critical of my images. I work hard to achieve them, out there in the field I try compose as I am shooting to avoid a heavy crop, I look for the most attractive pose, I try anticipate every move of my subject. Meanwhile, I learn as much as I can about my subject. I want impact, I want to grab the audience, I want my "moment in time". I also try to understand colour better and how to use it effectively to influence your perception. To me photography is like telling a story, so the closer you are to my POV the happier I am. And yes sometimes I use words to help you feel the way I felt when capturing the image. Despite the limitations of my technical knowledge I still manage to get your attention from time to time, which is simply awesome!

Warmest regards,

Gabriela Plesea
03-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Thank you so much Loi, appreciated! Here's the uncropped version as per your request. Let me have your thoughts, please:w3

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
03-30-2016, 05:39 PM
Fabulous scene, setting and light here Gabriela! Top notch shot!
I love the low POV too...just the lay of the land or were you on the ground?

Gabriela Plesea
03-31-2016, 11:16 AM
Thank you Morkel, lay of the land:) I was seated in the third row of the game viewing vehicle. I did slip between the seats for a better POV but it was very uncomfortable, having no support for the equipment. Also, was unsure whether I would be able to get up - I once got stuck there with a lioness only two metres away from the vehicle, LOL. This boy would have had me for dinner if I were on the ground, so bedonnerd (thunder-like, testosterone driven) he was!

Loi Nguyen
03-31-2016, 02:00 PM
Hi Gabriela, sitting on a plane to Florida for a quick birding trip with my dear brother, so just a quick crop here. I feel the pano crop kind of squishing the lion, making him smaller in the frame, less majestic. Of course this may be an optical illusion and subjective on my part. But here is the "normal" crop. WDYT? Loi

haseeb badar
03-31-2016, 02:30 PM
Hi Gabriela -- Excellent Capture ! I think you have done wonderfully well with the image. the colours , light and low POV totally makes this image for me . I would prefer the pano view as presented by you gives the feel of the environment .
Nice attempt by Loi but i would still prefer the OP .

TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
03-31-2016, 03:25 PM
Hello Loi!

So sweet of you to contribute with an RP, I really appreciate it! I can just imagine you there at the airport with the laptop in front of you!

Let me think about this a while? My thoughts right now - I went for this less conventional format because I felt it helped with the POV and created the illusion I was lying on the ground (even Morkel thought so...). Your RP gives more height and although correct in term of composition (it has great proportion) my gut feeling says it has less impact on the viewer. I am very curious what the others think, I am a little obsessed with comp and so would appreciate more opinions on the crop here. I am open to suggestions and appreciate your input, very much:cheers:

Travel safely my friend, enjoy your birding trip and bring back some stunners:wave:

Warmest regards,

Marc Mol
04-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Love the lighting, POV and that great curled tail flick, well seen Gabriela.

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
04-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Pane 8 does it for me but I would leave that log in, it gives a better sense of terrain, having said that I would accept any of the posted images - this is something special.

Gabriela Plesea
04-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Thank you Marc and Jon:)

Jon, I almost left that log in... Will try another version with a heavier crop from the RHS, this might work quite well - thanks my friend, appreciate your suggestion:5

Kind regards,

Carl Walker
04-02-2016, 06:47 AM
[QUOTE]I often try to add warmth to those images taken at this late hour (H 17:38), this time I had to fight the temptation to remove it./QUOTE]

Hi G. Yes I agree here with this comment. I have been trying to deal with this with some of my images. The light was so sweet that afternoon. Love the comp. I think we all have many similar shots of this. Great shot and well seen.

Gabriela Plesea
04-03-2016, 05:19 AM
Thank you Carl, let us process some more and see...We rather battle with too much golden light than no light, LOL.

Mmm...How about some cheetahs now? Have fun, if not too busy do pop in for a nice cup of coffee:w3

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2016, 07:55 AM
Hey i am coming for a coffee too, but might fall asleep due to Carlīs talking .... LOL . Sorry Carl .... i might have missed the lions due to the same , so you guys did very well with your shots , congrats to al three of you .

Hi Gab .... lovely frame and i specially love the wide view :5 :5
Lovely color and tone and your RP does work even better !!!

As i am lazy , this must be it for now .

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
04-03-2016, 08:37 AM
Thank you Boetie,

And don't pick on my Boetie Carl, please... Unlike you, he speaks softly at sightings not to disturb wildlife:t3

Glad you like this, I guess there are many more versions in the pipeline from all three of us. Watch this space, LOL

Don't be lazy, post something for your sister tonight, I might raise you another rhino:bg3:

Have a good evening,

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Hey you got me wrong or better said i picked the wrong words ..... as i felt asleep with Carl last time .... not due to his voice :S3: rather to me being very tired .
Hope this clears things , just wanted to pull my own leg rather than Carls

Gabriela Plesea
04-03-2016, 09:31 AM
You are making it worse, LOL. No need to explain, we all know you fell asleep during the game drive:) Oh well, we were chatting till the wee hours the previous night so when you drove to Carl 's place in the morning you could not keep your eyes open:bg3: