Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/1600
Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 1250
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM

Another shot from the back garden, sunflower hearts used as bait.
At first glance I think it would be perfectly reasonable to think the colours are a little saturated, normally I would agree but in this case I think they are pretty accurate. I have two pairs who visit daily and this one is particularly bright coloured (in fact I have desaturated the chest quite a bit).
All C&C welcome.

Bill Dix
03-26-2016, 07:08 PM
A nice comp, good colors. Maybe just a little steep.

Steve Kaluski
03-27-2016, 01:51 AM
Hi Jon, doesn't grab me as much as previous postings sadly, I also feel it's too close to the foot, almost slipping out of frame, but I can see why because of the 'Honeysuckle' (?). The 'perch' illustrates well how light the subject is.

Maybe just a little steep.

Wouldn't say it's steep Bill.

TFS
Steve

steve torna
03-27-2016, 07:03 AM
Hi Jon, It's a little tight but the the way the vibrant colors, curved branch and just killer BG is quite beautiful.

John Robinson
03-27-2016, 08:36 AM
Hi Jon
Love the perch but it makes it awkward to crop in my opinion. The bird does look slightly "bright" to me but no big deal. Nice BG too
Certainly a "chocolate boxey" shot whatever.
Cheers
JR

Ihtisham Kabir
03-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Jon, it is a lyrical and beautiful image. The colours work well together. Is there any more room at the bottom? Ihtisham

Marina Scarr
03-27-2016, 12:36 PM
I think the perch is quite cool and a big part of the image. The BG is lovely and works so well with this great looking bird. The only thing I wish for is a bit more head turn from the bird, but nature determines!! Did you by any chance get him in the same spot on the perch looking to the left I wonder...

Jonathan Ashton
03-27-2016, 12:43 PM
I agree it was a little awkward to crop this was best I could do without "cheating" , i.e increasing the length of the perch etc, I have other different yet similar shots.

keith mitchell
03-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Jon just a tiny bit more at the bottom that apart it's perfect for me,beautiful job.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
03-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Lets see some more options, exposure & colour looks spot on Jon on a calibrated monitor.

Jonathan Ashton
03-27-2016, 05:04 PM
here is an alternative, I have had to add canvas to the base, if anyone wishes to have a play with the raw file I will be happy to send it.

keith mitchell
03-28-2016, 07:24 AM
Perfect Jon.

Keith.

Joseph Przybyla
03-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Hi Jonathan, beautiful bird that I am not familiar with. Your repost looks good to me, thank you for sharing.

Steve Kaluski
03-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Looking good Jon.

Steve Kaluski
03-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Hi Jon, well as you sent some files through I thought I might as well, but wasn't expecting this one from you. The RAW is pin sharp and superb detail, one of the nicest files I have had the pleasure to have worked on!!!

Not sure when you last calibrated your monitor Jon, the the OP is certainly now, carrying a lot of Blue. Once you get past all that nasty Contrast that is in the Canon files you start to see a lot more detail, but that is perhaps just my take. The WB I worked to was Temp 6912 with a Tint 2, then just tried to keep any colour adjustment to a minims as usual. Sadly I haven't got the time to create more BKG below, but I think this may provide food for thought????

Cheers
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
03-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Steve, thanks for taking the time to make an alternative for everyone to think about. On reflection now I must admit I think mine does look cold, I looked at your colour temp settings, I went got ACR and got similar results. I then went into DPP4 and dialled in a asimilar colour temperature - way different! In ACR the image is not showing over exposure yet in DPP it shows a slight over exposure, I think this is connected to your observation over the Canon raw files being high contrast.
Anyhow on reflection I did liked mine I do like yours ... but I think I like this one best:w3, I haven't added canvas, it took a while. Again I concede it looks very colourful but this particular one was... honest!!

Steve Kaluski
03-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Jon, it's all food for thought and this could easily grown into a good and informative debate. I wish there wasn't the instance between us as I or you could easily swing by and see the comparison on screen with the two side by side on respective monitors, as I think the RP is still carrying too much Saturated LOL. The test would be at print. :S3:

Perhaps somewhere between the two.

Jonathan Ashton
03-28-2016, 11:08 AM
You are right Steve a print is the final arbiter. My screen is calibrated, yours is too, but I do have to confess the ambient light is variable in my study.
"Perhaps somewhere between the two" - yes.... but nearer the DPP4:Whoa!::cheers:

Steve Kaluski
03-28-2016, 11:19 AM
but I do have to confess the ambient light is variable in my study

That is perhaps one of the key issues, my light or lack of it is constant here in the studio and all I see are the monitors, with Day light bulbs for viewing prints. Also I NEVER calibrate when the monitors have just started up, I tend to leave things for at least an hour.