PDA

View Full Version : Swainson's Spurfowl.

Stu Bowie
03-25-2016, 01:49 PM
This is one of my favourite Spurfowls, and Ive always wanted to capture this type of image - posed in the open - but unfortunately not in a calling pose. I was however fortunate to have this part of the tree, free of foliage, and here in SA, we dont have thinner perches, as seen on most of my images. :w3 This was captured in the nature reserve close to my house in early morning light, a few weekends ago.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/2500
F/8.0
ISO 640

Manual exposure

Jonathan Ashton
03-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Stu it is a very pleasant image, well focused etc........ I know now you are sensing a "but" and that is you have really set the level so high - nothing wrong with it but I am sorry to say buddy just not of the same calibre as your usual submissions. I may be out on a limb here so for goodness' sake don't take it personally:w3

John Rowell
03-25-2016, 03:04 PM
I'm glad you got the shot you were looking for here. The bird just looks a little lonelly and lost out there on the limb, but maybe that's just what you wanted to get. Would you consider a tighter crop to make the perch a little less the center of focus? Lovely reds on the spurfowl, I'd like to see a bit closer in.

annmpacheco
03-25-2016, 03:06 PM
That spur is bout as big as a limb and i must agree, the bird is so wonderful, it really make me want to see more and the limbs just dominate. Perhaps a tighter crop, losing the base lateral limb to the left??? great looking bird!

Stu Bowie
03-26-2016, 12:41 AM
Thanks a stack everyone for your postive feedback. Here is a repost with a tighter crop.

Jonathan Ashton
03-26-2016, 02:01 AM
Infinitely better Stu, there is still plenty of detail to be seen.

keith mitchell
03-26-2016, 03:56 AM
Stu it's the repost for me, did think the bird looked a bit lost in the OP ,did well to get this ground lover up a tree.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
03-26-2016, 04:07 AM
Hey Stu, I bet that 'perch' took a bit of setting up :bg3:.

I think I prefer the OP, although I might just remove the small 'white' spots. Nice you have the look back and caught the catchlight too. I also like the fact the branch is on a diagonal line and leads to the corner, I wonder if you then need to come in on the LHS?

Hope to see these later on.

TFS
Steve

William Dickson
03-26-2016, 04:40 AM
I like the RP better Stu. Nice detail and pose on the bird. The reds on the cheek and neck make for a pleasing image.

Will

Gerhard Weldhagen
03-27-2016, 12:53 AM
Nice pruning mate. The bird doesn't look bad either!

Stu Bowie
03-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Thanks a stack for all the feedback.