Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/2000
Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1/3
ISO Speed 3200
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +2x
Focal Length 1000.0mm

I took a few images from a higher stance to avoid the intrusive background of trees and branches. All C&C welcome.

gail bisson
03-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Very very nice.
This image is screaming for a tighter crop if you have the pixels to do so.
Just love the right hand bird's head position.
Good fieldcraft to get higher.
Gail

David Salem
03-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Very nice is right. Much better HAs than the last one. I agree with Gail about the fact that it will have much more impact if cropped tighter but by the looks of your focal distance, I'm sure this is already a moderate crop. Looks like it can handle a bit more cropping though and I would suggest selectively lightening the face of the grebe on the left a bit.
Keep working it. You are going to come up with something killer pretty soon. Just need to figure out how to get closer or just be there enough that the opportunity finally happens. In my experience, it usually dose if given enough time and patience. Well done Jon

Jim Crosswell
03-24-2016, 02:31 PM
These birds are amazing. I like the behavior, display and IQ. I agree that a tighter crop would be better if possible. Very well done Jon.

William Dickson
03-24-2016, 03:30 PM
Another cracker Jon, well done. Pose and HA's are nice. Nice detail and comp. I'm up early tomorrow to try them (again):e3

Will

Bill Dix
03-24-2016, 04:49 PM
What a sweet shot! The light, HA and detail on the RH bird is excellent, with the bill nicely framed by the cowl. Good choice to go higher. Maybe a bit of brightness (and add'l sharpening?) to the LH bird?

Glenn Conlan
03-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Nice head position with great colors

keith mitchell
03-25-2016, 04:05 AM
Really enjoying your posts of these birds Jon,action of the birds and the settings make for a lovely image.

Keith.

Stu Bowie
03-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Hi Jon, love the head displays from both Grebes, and also the colours. Both well exposed and sharp too. Well done for shooting higher to rid of the upper BG foliage. Comp wise, I would maybe take a bit off the bottom. :w3

Jonathan Ashton
03-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I have plenty more and I will be going back, I just want them to come in a little closer.

annmpacheco
03-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Well done Jon, these grebes sure are so expressive and you have captured it beautifully. would love also to see a tighter crop, we want more!!! go get em.

steve torna
03-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Very elegant and I especially enjoy the pose of the RH grebe; they appear to be in love.