PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy big boy

Andreas Liedmann
03-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Hi folks , here i present a grumpy big fella of the Indian Rhino .
This nice guy was following a female in the grassland for quite a while , our guides were suspecting them to cross the road close to our gypsy , so we waited there .
From time to time our guide thought it might be good to catch attention of them , by imitating their calls .... well it worked so good that this big guy thought he must check us out with his head up and in the end with the head down coming towards us ....... and speedy :eek3:. Well he was really grumpy .
As he got quite close ... guide and driver started yelling at him ..... he did not seem to be impressed by the very thin tones that came out of their throats , with hindsight it might have been better to use my deep german voice to stop him ..... but i was busy to photograph him .... so no chance .
Finally they started the car in hectic and we took flight ...... my friend fell on me because she did not expect that hectic movement off the car .
I would have loved a lower POV wit this one specially , but due to location no lower POV possible .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 200-400 IS L at 266 mm
HH

F 9 ; Iso 2500 ; 1/2000 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; cropped for comp from bottom only .

Thanks fro looking and commenting to my previous thread .

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
03-24-2016, 05:09 AM
Hi Andreas, the head on look reminds me of a Tortoise. I understand and appreciate how difficult it is to shoot here, not my favourite location, but I feel you did your best, any with the more raised?

he did not seem to be impressed by the very thin tones that came out of their throats , with hindsight it might have been better to use my deep german voice to stop him

Perhaps as you say "Hault or even Schnell, Schnell' may have worked? :bg3:

I might just darken the bottom RHC perhaps, just where the road creeps in.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
03-24-2016, 06:51 AM
Nice textures in the hide wonderfully sharp and detailed but sorry I don't like the viewpoint.

Rachel Hollander
03-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Hi Andreas - He really looks prehistoric here. Excellent textures and detail in the hide, including in the shadows. I think cropping down from the top to before the shoulders roll into the back lessens the effect of the shooting angle.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
03-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Thank you Steve, Jon and Rachel for your comments , as always much appreciated .
I knew that this would be tricky to make look pleasing , without my description you would not get the idea that my ´fella´wanted to get me :bg3:. For me easier as i have been there and saw and heard him coming ...... and he was quick ..... our advantage was he had to ´climb´the road .
Yes Steve i have some more .... but still the odd down shooting angle . AS you might know almost all roads that cover the grasslands of that place are build a lot higher than the grassland it self ..... so many times not really avoidable to shoot on eye level . I knew a very nice spot where one could get eye level or even lower than that .... if the rhinos stay there .But they have closed that part in the eastern range , and opened up a different road for the public .
But hey Steve ..... tell me another place in the world where you can get this stunning Rhino that " easy" and mostly relaxed in front of your lens , and specially in those big numbers ........ we tried to count the visible rhinos on each game drive for 2 days ....... 25 - 40 individuals , yes individuals not double counted .
I am not sure about using ..... Halt or Schnell, Schnell !!!! for making him stop , but will give it a try next time , LOL .

So here is a tighter version , thank you Rachel for the pointer ..... for sure i have totally lost the intention of the OP .

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
03-24-2016, 11:57 AM
But hey Steve ..... tell me another place in the world where you can get this stunning Rhino that " easy" and mostly relaxed in front of your lens , and specially in those big numbers

Dortmund zoo? :bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
03-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Ouuuch that hurts so badly ....... i am disappointed :t3 , they have just the whites and in my place .... we have not even them :S3:.

Marc Mol
03-24-2016, 12:28 PM
This one doesn't quite grab me here sorry Andreas, with the pose/comp a little awkward IMO.

Techs and detail look quite good as usual, would love to see these guys one day :w3

TFS

haseeb badar
03-25-2016, 03:23 AM
Hi Andreas -- I think the RP is way better , great advice by Rachel . The colours, sharpness and details all good as usual and nice choice of DOF , not one of your better images but certainly a good one considering the situation and opportunity you had .

TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
03-27-2016, 01:14 PM
Just love how armoured these guys are.
Not the best pose but I think you did well with what was presented.
I like the RP more. Not sure that it's the best practice for the guide to keep imitating their calls just to provoke a response? :eek3:

Gabriela Plesea
03-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Hello Andreas!

I am thrilled to hear this close encounter with the Indian Rhino did not end up with my German Boetie needing stitches. Calling him and then shouting at him to go away seems like a bad idea to me, your guide needs some "guidance" and lessons regarding rhino behaviour, LOL.

I like the view of the horn from above and those funnel-like ears, a different perspective but it somehow works for me. Beautiful textures on that rubbery skin with patches of mud. Well processed as usual Andreas, with good sharpness where needed and some nice detail even in the darker, shadowy areas. Enjoyed viewing, very much, thank you Boetie, let us have some more:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Carl Walker
04-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Hi Andreas. Been a while. Somehow I can't but help think he had a reason to be grumpy!!!!:w3 I don't claim to have any experience with this animals specific behaviour but believe they are very similar to Black rhino in terms of "investigating" possible intruders. Would love see them in their own environment. The fact that there was a lanky German amongst the noise may have added to its grumpiness. Haha!!!!! Prefer your repost. Well done