PDA

View Full Version : Theme Ele Junior B&W

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Here is an experiment in B&W using Nik Silver Efex Pro with fine art process filter. I am not sure if I have over done it but wanted to highlight the texture of the pachyderms here. Let me know if I need to process it all over or if its OK? I like the little one walking along mommy and with sufficient separation in the pose so that the trunk and head did not overlap with the legs.
1/800
f/4
ISO 400
7D
200mm
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Sanjeev

Rachel Hollander
03-23-2016, 06:11 AM
Hi Sanjeev - the conversion looks good. You have brought out nice textures on the hide. If it were mine, I would try playing around a bit with the control points in Nik to actually bring out less detail and texture on the mother's hide and also crop about half the distance to the top to really bring the focus onto the youngster and its textures.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
03-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Hi Sanjeev, I don't mind the conversion, but for me, I feel zooming out and having more of the Adult in, would have been a strong image. I just think the crop isn't quite working to get the linkage, but just my take. <orkel hopeful will chime in, be good to get his thoughts.

I assume it was the 70-200, or is it a straight 200????

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
03-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Hi Sanjeev your target to bring out textures in the ellies did work well !I am also ok with the conversion .
I have to agree with Steve that the crop/ comp is not grabbing me either , i might from LHS and leave the leg of the adult as a border . But then it might look too much squeezed in .
I do also think the FG and BG is too dark overall , i would lighten the whole thing and give more separation from the elephants .... just an idea .

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
03-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Sanjeev - I think Steve and Andreas did a better job than I did in expressing that the overall comp wasn't working as shot. My suggestions were thoughts on maybe overcoming the problems with the comp but they may not be enough.

Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
03-23-2016, 12:48 PM
Hello Sanjeev,

It all works for me, save for the comp - I am afraid I too find the front limb of Mom Elle a tad overwhelming. I do like the conversion though and you brought out lovely textures - well processed, and I must say the little one is very cute:)

I tried a couple of things tonight, one of them was to crop from the LHS and create some more contrast between the adult and the young, not sure it works for you but the whole idea was to draw the eye to the little elle by creating more contrast. Another way to do this would be to lighten/overexpose the mom to an extent that she almost blends in with an almost white BG. Would be interested to see what you come up with if you play around more, I can see other options too my friend:w3

Thank you so much for sharing, I love it when you experiment and this B/W was a nice surprise:)

Warmest regards,

haseeb badar
03-25-2016, 03:13 AM
Hi Sanjeev -- I too agree with the above suggestions especially with the comp , it is not working for me either . I think Gabriela has done a nice job with the RP and has definitely enhanced the image .

TFS !