PDA

View Full Version : Pair of Golden Eagles

Jon Groves
03-21-2016, 05:17 PM
I took this image last year with a long-range remotely operated setup covered in camouflage at a local golden eagle nest in Alberta. It's a tricky situation because exposure settings cannot be adjusted after initial setup and you cross your fingers for overcast skies with this south-facing nest location. Besides the harsh afternoon light, heat waves off the cliff face make the images ultra-soft when the sun shines. Here the male on the left just brought in new nesting material while the female was feeding one of the two eaglets. This pair of eagles are currently nest building at the same location as last season, here's to hoping they are successful again. Besides the photography aspect, these golden eagles were enjoyable to watch in action and document the variety of prey being brought in to the nest. Full-frame, mid-afteroon on a heavy overcast day.

7DII | 300mm F2.8 | 1/320 | F10 | ISO1600

John Robinson
03-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Thats a great shot Jon ! Position of the adults spot on, and the nest material lifts the shot reckon.
Bit worried about the rocks above the chicks head! Looks like impending disaster!!
Well done
JohnR

Daniel Cadieux
03-21-2016, 06:12 PM
What a rare treat you present us with! Sounds like a tricky shoot indeed, but your planning and setup has paid huge dividends. Both poses are good, and I was so captivated by the adult pair that I only saw the chick once I read your description: what a surprise treat! Good looking nest, spruced up with fresh greens. The rocky surroundings are pretty neat. Captivating image, thanks for sharing it with us.

dankearl
03-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Wow....about as nice a shot as one could ever get to these elusive beauties. The chick is off the charts...
Thanks and I really admire and appreciate the effort.

Karl Egressy
03-21-2016, 07:42 PM
Great opportunity and an excellent shot, Jon.

arash_hazeghi
03-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Never seen the nest with nursing parents, you were very lucky to find this! overcast helped with soft light here. I'd crop a bit tighter to focus a bit more on the birds. I wonder if you could have moved to your left a bit to get a better view of the chick, but I would be very happy with this frame. I hope you had time to stay and witness them bring food to the nest

TFS

Kirk Benson
03-21-2016, 09:15 PM
I also really appreciate your efforts, what a rewarding experience this must have been for you Jon.
The image is fantastic all things considered so huge congrats on some fine work here, and thanks so much for sharing this with us. :-)

Kirk

William Dickson
03-22-2016, 03:27 PM
Beautiful image and story to go with it :S3: I agree with all above.

Well done.

Will

keith mitchell
03-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Lovely shot with both birds showing well,must be great to witness.

Keith.

Satish Ranadive
03-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Excellent image of a lovely family, Jon.
Love every thing in the frame.sweet little one.
My most favorite raptor, yet to photograph.:e3

Kind Regards,
Satish.

Jon Groves
03-23-2016, 11:24 AM
I wonder if you could have moved to your left a bit to get a better view of the chick, but I would be very happy with this frame. I hope you had time to stay and witness them bring food to the nest.TFS

The camera setup is sitting as far to the left on the edge of a cliff with a remote setup for this nest. As much as I'd love to move it slightly for a better angle it would be impossible! ;). Golden eagles are particularly sensitive around the nest so you have to be careful and minimize disturbance. I saw a variety of prey deliveries, primarily mallards, but ravens and young deer were included as well. Golden eagles are amazing predators.

Marina Scarr
03-23-2016, 07:51 PM
What a killer nest and opportunity you have here. Love seeing the chick over on the right. Too bad the other one is behind the adult. Love your choice of composition here. I think you chose just enough nest and environment to share with us.Your hard work paid off.

Arthur Morris
03-26-2016, 07:01 PM
Not sure how you did it but am pretty sure that you would have moved to your left if you could. I am not familiar with this species but it looks as if there is a bit of a red cast on the birds. Thanks for sharing. a