PDA

View Full Version : Theme Towards the Tree

Morkel Erasmus
03-21-2016, 12:32 PM
I keep digging up elephant photos for the theme...:t3

A moment from the Mara. Midday but nice cloud cover to filter the light.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 80-400mm VR @ 110mm
f7.1 | 1/800 SS | ISO-320

Rachel Hollander
03-21-2016, 08:10 PM
Hi Morkel - I like the tree in the distance but this one isn't grabbing me. I think it feels like the eles are just standing around and as a result the lack of eye contact is not part of a story here. Btw again you don't have an embedded color profile. There's also a halo around the adult. Sorry.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
03-22-2016, 04:37 AM
Hi Morkel -- I liked the scene here and the placement of the tree between the ele's . The adult should have been more horizontal instead of completely moving away for the image to completely work . Not working for me either , Sorry !

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
03-22-2016, 05:59 AM
Hi Morkel, nice to have you back posting again.

I like the vast expanse created in the image and the ratio of sky to land, but I'm not loving the quirky/jaunty angle of the Adult Elephant, or the POV, just too much butt IMHO even for the theme. I feel you have better images that convey the theme.

Are you shooting Auto ISO here, as I might have just gone to ISO400 with not change in IQ, but a hint more SS?

TFS
Steve

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Hi Mork, lovely mara landscape and the blue sky with clouds is nice. Agree the pose of the big ole could have been better. TFS.

Andre Pretorius
03-22-2016, 03:09 PM
Hi Morkel

Seems like the Big Sky in Mara is becoming a trademark!

Love the view of far away hills with unknown challenges and rewards.

Stunning idea, but too much adult behind and the tree/hills too far..
(daar gaat ons...)

Andreas Liedmann
03-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Hi Morkel i am fine with the idea you had , and the tree in distance is a nice touch giving some death .
I just think the image needs more brightness .
Like the sky and the overall colors .

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
03-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Hello Morkel,

I think Andreas meant to say "depth", LOL - those clever computers are playing tricks sometimes:)

Beautiful colours and stunning Mara sky, love the composition and especially that little tree in the BG. There's a nice conversation going on between Mom Elle and Baby, which tells the story for me. I agree, the adult's rear Left limb looks kind of awkward and I have seen this before from mama Ellies before. Nothing you could do about it.

I guess what grabbed you here was the overall scene...To me this is about those precious lessons passed on from generation to generation, in other words Big Ellie teaching Small Ellie...Only I would change the title, Morkel - it is too obvious and leaves nothing to the imagination:tinysmile_shy_t:

Warmest regards,

Marc Mol
03-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Love that open sky and overall colour here Morkel, but the comp isn't quite doing it for me here, granted that this is for the theme. :w3

TFS

Morkel Erasmus
05-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Thanks for your honest crits, folks. Not my strongest work, I agree. :e3

Are you shooting Auto ISO here, as I might have just gone to ISO400 with not change in IQ, but a hint more SS?

TFS
Steve

Steve I always shoot auto ISO these days, except when shooting landscapes specifically.