Canon 500mm f4 L IS
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/1600
Av (Aperture Value) 8.0
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 1000

Image taken from my back garden hide.

William Dickson
03-20-2016, 06:24 PM
That's some back garden :S3: Well done Jon, Lovely detail on both bird and perch with a nice BG. The perch is looking real good. Nice control on the blacks and whites on the bird.

Nice one

Will

Kirk Benson
03-21-2016, 01:05 AM
Perch looks great and so does this beautiful WP Jon. Very nice color and detail, and I like seeing the tongue through the open bill. Lovely image. :-)

Kirk

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2016, 02:36 AM
Hi Jon, would have liked to have seen more of the tail, but perhaps that is in an ideal world? Nice clean set up with good colour & detail. Personal I feel I would to see things slightly higher in frame.

Seems your garden is quite a productive haven. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
03-21-2016, 02:51 AM
Thanks to all, I had drilled a hole on the bottom of the log and the log was mounted on a feeder pole, unfortunately a few pigeons had visited and being heavier they had rotated the log a little bit I am kicking myself a bit really, I had waited pretty much all day from about 9am to after three, I had to move the log about to catch the light, I was also aware that I needed to bring the log a little closer, but I didn't. I will be trying again, either closer or with the TC and hopefully get a full lateral view. I drilled holes in the log and squashed/mashed peanuts into them so the woodpecker had to keep pecking to at get them. As you might imagine I took several images at differing shutter speeds, this was the first before the bill started getting too messy. She was totally unaffected by the motor drive and just kept on feeding.

annmpacheco
03-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Jon,
Sure is a colorful bird and perch. I enjoyed your set up efforts and i am sure you'll be perfecting your opportunities as they come. Love the moss and would like all of it in focus so it doesn't distract from a very clean image! looking forward to your next posts.

Karl Egressy
03-21-2016, 07:49 PM
Excellent perch and nice pose showing the belly and undertail.