PDA

View Full Version : Theme Scarlet Ibis

Bill Dix
03-19-2016, 03:59 PM
OK, this is a bit of a stretch to call this a preening shot. Is there a small-in-frame-preening category?:w3 Check out the upper left corner bird.

From Caroni Swamp, Trinidad. This was quite a spectacle to witness, these brilliantly colored birds speeding toward their roost island in groups of 20 or 30 at a time, sometimes more. By the time dusk settled and we left the area there were thousands of them roosting in the trees. But it was also disappointing, in that we were not able to get anywhere close to the island. Conditions were tough, with dim light, a boat-full of people squirming around, and no room to swing the big lens. This is just about full frame.

D7200, 500-f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 6400, 1/2000s @ f/7.1 manual.

John Robinson
03-19-2016, 04:43 PM
Incrediblel birds Bill !
Just love the one you pointed out aand the feeling of habitat is superb.
Good stuff from a kitchen window man !
John

Geoffrey Montagu
03-19-2016, 05:25 PM
That's the first bird I noticed after opening the image. I thought how great is this. The rich scarlet stands out very well against the tropical forest, and the varied wing positions help show the black tipped wing detail.

Geoffrey

steve torna
03-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Yes it does look like the Ibis in the top left is attempting to preen in flight. I like the color and habitat context. TFS

Lorant Voros
03-19-2016, 07:16 PM
I like that you put this one for the theme. It is different with this "small in the frame" for sure, but it is fun. The birds nicely pop out of the BG with the special color they have. Interesting shot; well done.

Kirk Benson
03-19-2016, 11:45 PM
Haha! Yes it qualifies... it's even cool that the preening Ibis is separated just enough from the group to instantly be noticed by the viewer.
These birds are gorgeous, wow what amazing color... the BG is a great canvas for these beautiful birds and your composition is terrific.
Excellent work Bill, I like it a lot. :-)

Kirk

gail bisson
03-20-2016, 06:30 AM
Love the colors in this frame.
I noticed the bird in the LUC immediately- he is separated enough from the other birds to really stand out.
Sounds like this is a place to higher a boat for yourself only. Do it!!
Gail

dankearl
03-20-2016, 10:26 AM
You did a nice job with the high ISO and it is a very appealing scene. The birds do not appear to be super sharp to me?

Robert Kimbrell
03-20-2016, 11:33 AM
A very pleasing image Bill. What beautiful a beautiful bird. I like the background, It really presents a sense of their environment.

Bill Dix
03-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Thanks everyone.

Yes, Gail, it would be great if one could hire a private boat. One might find a local fisherman with a boat, but I don't think it's possible to get any closer to the rookery. This is the national bird of Trinidad, and Caroni Swamp is a national preserve, carefully regulated. The standard tours are in boats that hold 20-30 people and after wending their way through the marsh for a hour or so, tie up in a predetermined spot far away from the rookery island to watch the spectacle.

You're right Dan. The birds are not sharp. And they are noisy. Trying to shoot a group of distant, fast moving birds at dusk presents lots of problems. I could have used more shutter speed and a smaller aperture, but I was already way beyond my comfort level at ISO 6400. Maybe a new camera body would handle it. Talk to my wife. :S3: