PDA

View Full Version : Weddell Island

Norm Dulak
03-19-2016, 07:08 AM
D7200 w/Nikkor 28-300mm @ 65mm
ISO 800; f/7.1, 1/1600; matrix metering +0.33

Cliffs on Weddell Island in the Falkland Islands are home to colonies of Shags. Rock Shags are seen in the foreground, while Imperial Shags, separated by a ravine, occupy the background terrain. On both sides of the ravine, terraced ledges support the shag colonies.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Andrew McLachlan
03-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Ni Norm...I love the foreground cliff with the striations throughout...the brightest plateau of rock just above center may benefit from a bit of darkening...not much, just a touch...I am curious as to whether you may have some alternate compositions to this, a little wider and with the colony a little further to the right side of the frame?

Norm Dulak
03-20-2016, 06:18 AM
Hi Andrew. Thanks for your comments. I do have room on the left to add more water, and I could compensate by cropping off some from the right and moving the colony more to the right. I'll experiment to see how that would look.

Don Railton
03-20-2016, 11:15 PM
Hi Norm

I agree that a little more seperation between the rock and the LH border is worth a try.. I am not sure what you did for processing, if you sharpened the sea top of frame i would mask that area and back it off a bit..The sea looks blocky..

DON

Norm Dulak
03-21-2016, 05:50 AM
Thanks Don.

If anything characterizes the Falklands, it is an ever present strong wind. The roughness of the sea at the top of the frame was due to the wind. You don't see the effect lower in the frame because the rocks sheltered the water from the wind.

In the repost here I've tried to adjust the image as you and Andrew suggested.

Don Railton
03-21-2016, 11:17 PM
Hi Norm

In the repost I like the extra sea, for me it makes the height of the rock above the sea more obvious and adds tension. I also see a few birds in the water which are an added bonus to me and again help with sense of scale. I would not have cropped from the right however and after re-reading the comments above i dont think Andrew wanted that either.. Are you wanting a particular aspect ratio?? if not I would leave it wide. Finally the area you darkened on the rock i think you went a little too far.. Thanks for the explanation on the sea, wasnt sure what it was but it makes sense now..

regards

DON

Norm Dulak
03-22-2016, 06:03 AM
Hi Don.

Your continuing suggestions for improvement are appreciated. I'm not sure which version is best, but this repost may be more to your liking. Again, thanks.

Don Railton
03-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Hi Norm,

Yes, I definately prefer the last crop...but what do you like best??

DON