PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Creek

Andrew McLachlan
03-17-2016, 08:14 PM

A few weeks ago I made a trip up to Ontario's Algonquin Provincial Park for some winter landscape imagery. This scene was created on what turned out to be a bitterly, cold morning with a touch of frost clinging to the trees. As the sun was beginning to rise behind me, the sky in front was developing a nice touch a pink that I found appealing. This image was photographed from the bridge on Highway 60 looking out over Smoke Creek as it empties into Tea Lake.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 35mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 0.3 sec
No filters used

Look forward to comments.

Don Railton
03-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Hi Andrew

An appealing shot to me with good detail. I like the reflections in the lake and the blue on white colours, maybe there is a bit of a blue cast but i think that helps with 'cold' context and is intentional maybe.. Only downside for me is the sky, the pink has not made it to my screen (in any significance anyway) and i do think that would lift the image further. Well done..

best regards

DON

Adhika Lie
03-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Agreed with Don about the pink sky. It's kinda washed out on my screen here. I really love the deep blue color on this one. I think it's really beautiful. On a first glance, I felt that it needed a slight CCW rotation, but on a second look, the trees are vertical. The detail is stunning though! Thanks for sharing, Andrew!

Diane Miller
03-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Lovely, with excellent detail to set off the subtle tones and color. I'm intrigued by the reflections of the trees. Did you put on a longer lens and work them?

Andrew McLachlan
03-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Thanks Diane, Don, and Adhika for the comments...much appreciated.

Diane...no I did not try a longer lens on the trees...it was -17 degrees Celsius and I decided since I was parked near the bridge there was no need to take my gloves...I created a few wide angle scenes off both sides of the bridge until my finger tips were near frozen...I made my back to the car to warm them, which was agonizingly painful...after my fingers were warm enough I ventured off to photograph Pine Martens :)

Diane Miller
03-19-2016, 07:14 PM
I can't even begin to comprehend -17 C. I wouldn't have gotten out of the house, much less out of the car... I withdraw the idea. :e3

Arthur Morris
03-26-2016, 07:49 PM
I like the image design and the pink. You might want to try a few less blue versions. a

Morkel Erasmus
03-27-2016, 02:41 PM
I love the composition and the cold blue feel here Andrew.
I can see a number of versions as Artie mentioned.
Show us more from this foray?
I would not handle the -17 well haha. Coldest I've had in South Africa is -7

Andrew McLachlan
04-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the additional comments and suggestions Arthur and Morkel, much appreciated. Sorry for slow reply...I spent the Easter weekend with no hydro due to a severe ice storm that also left my half acre lot covered in many large branches, as they broke off from the excessive weight of the ice build-up, from my numerous, mature Silver Maple Trees...however, I am getting pretty skilled with a chainsaw as a result of the clean-up, which should take another week or two.