PDA

View Full Version : Black-fronted Dotterel

Gerhard Weldhagen
03-16-2016, 11:27 PM
This picture was created a few days ago when the local wetlands had received some early water barely filling the barren ponds. Dotterels were out in good numbers foraging along the muddy shores in the low evening light. Canon 7D2, EF 600 f4 IS II + 1.4TCIII, 1/4000, ISO 2000, f5.6. Shot taken from prone position, lens rested on an Atlas bipod. DPP 4 / CS6, cropped, resized and sharpened. Thanks for looking.

arash_hazeghi
03-16-2016, 11:38 PM
I like the low angle and the nice smooth tones in the BG. details look good but the sun angle wasn't quite ideal here casting a shadow on the chest and neck, but you did well with the exposure. I might crop him tighter as I find the mud lump behind the bird a bit distracting

TFS

keith mitchell
03-17-2016, 08:12 AM
Gerhard these are smashing little Waders which I tried to photograph on my trips to Australia,must say you have made a far better job than I ever did,I am happy with the presentation just showing enough of the reflection,very nice work.

Keith.

Daniel Cadieux
03-17-2016, 11:41 AM
I like the low angle and reflection. Good colours. With the light coming in form the left I would have preferred the head angled about 2 degrees more towards us to let that light splash the face. Terrific greens for the bg and fg. I'm OK witjh the mud behind the subject, but a few smudges and spots in the water could be removed to clean it up. I also feel the image could take a bit of CW rotation.

Jonathan Ashton
03-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Nice shot suggest lowering contrast, I think it will make a positive difference