PDA

View Full Version : Fox

Anette Mossbacher
03-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Hi everybody,

just a few days back from Japan. It seemed Japan has changed quite a bit since I was last time there!

However, we were fortunate to see some foxes on our trip alongside the road on Hokkaido island. They were between boats on the beach or even on the beach playing 'fox hunt'.

This one we saw enjoying the sun first until it started rolling in the snow and do some Yoga afterwards. Well when I took the image the sun just decided to go behind the single cloud from the whole sky!

We were very fortunate with the weather in Japan. We got snow when we needed and we had most of the time beautiful sun, just some pretty chilly wind here and there.

Processed in LRCC and than PSCC. The usual, not much needed to be done.
Had to crop a bit from LHS top corner down to get the stupid edge of the boat out. The LHS bottom corner plant first disturb me, but than after a little while I actually quite like it.

1 DX
70-200mm & 2x ext. III
ISO 400
f/8.0 1/1250sec

keith mitchell
03-17-2016, 04:00 AM
Anette you are one lucky lady ,just been watching a tv documentary of these Japanese islands it looks wonderful and would love to go.I like the way you have done this with just enough text on the boat to show us where you were,Fox that looks like it just got up looks really good,I like this a lot.

Keith.

Anette Mossbacher
03-17-2016, 07:51 AM
Hi Keith,

thanks a lot for your time to comment. Japan is quite a trip worth I would say :bg3:

Have a great day

Ciao Anette

Rachel Hollander
03-17-2016, 08:08 AM
Hi Anette - Good to see you posting but not one of my favorites of yours. I like the stretching pose of the fox but find the boat too dominating. Also the scraggly shrub in the llc draws the eye a bit too. Sorry,

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
03-17-2016, 08:39 AM
No problem Rachel, I knew that this won't be your fav :bg3:

The boat is there and won't be moved and this is the animals habitat. I can assure you that I have a fav fox image for you as well :w3

Thanks a lot for your time

Wish you a great day

Ciao Anette

Steve Kaluski
03-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Hi Anette, can only echo Rachel's thoughts here, however you have wetted my appetite, lets see some more foxes please.

BTW why not post some of Arc in the new 'Fun' section.

Hope all is good, nice to see you posting & commenting, thanks.

TFS
Steve :wave:

Anette Mossbacher
03-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Thanks a lot Steve,

habitat is habitat, this was far away from any town, just the human things dumped for winter :bg3:

Will see with further images, the 48 hours are not over yet.

Have a great eve and thanks a lot :wave:

Ciao Anette

Jonathan Ashton
03-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Composition looks good to me colour balance great as is exposure, a different and interesting image.

Anette Mossbacher
03-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Hi Jonathan,

thank you very much for your time to comment :wave:

Have a great day

Ciao Anette

haseeb badar
03-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Hi Anette -- Had a long look at this image before posting the comment , it somehow fails to grab me . Sorry ! As Rachel said the boat is too dominating and that dry shrub is way to distracting , also the drain hole or whatever it is behind the fox with some plastic stuck into it looks shabby ,the fox actually is lost between these elements .

TFS !

Anette Mossbacher
03-18-2016, 08:20 AM
Hi Haseeb,

thank you very much for your comment and time.
I highly appreciate it.

Have a great weekend

Ciao Anette

PS environment is the environment also when I take the little bush out of the image :w3

Anette Mossbacher
03-18-2016, 12:33 PM
The boat in the image: :bugeyed:

Well, human impact should be shown as that is one of the reason we are losing wildlife and nature. We also should show that, not all is "holy world" out there!!

Also my image of a seal in a fishing net http://anettemossbacher.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Black-and-White-Fine-Art/G0000gIZlmhFURJA/I0000Brnzp8n_CNU won the third place of a contest, highly commented... went into the finals of BBC, European WPOY, GDT, Natures Best..etc.

I do not want to defend my fox image. I just want to say as above in the first sentence and it might get worse over the years!

However, next images won't be a boat in there or any human impact in nature! And maybe I opened now some thoughts in your minds :c3::Whoa!:

Have everybody a great weekend :wave:

Ciao Anette

Andre Pretorius
03-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Hi Anette

I too would like to see a wild animal in its "natural" habitat without man-made elements.

Fact is; this is a wild animal, this is his natural habitat, full of man-made elements.

I do not know the habits and antics of these foxes, but if they are anything like our black-backed jackals- they adapt in any habitat as long as there is enough food.
I like the relaxed pose, this image tells a story about us and them, how they can sometimes outwit us..

Personally I would remove 'em sticks at LRCH...

Andre

Anette Mossbacher
03-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Thanks so much Andre. Yep the foxes are like the jackals. He you find them even in the city, at night they show up on my front door. Some have in Iapan/Hokkaido little towns even fox dens in their back yard!!

People love with them and the fox live with mans. The place of this fox in the image is far away of any town and their place. Only in winter, when the fisher do not fish, than they get nice wind breakers in form of boats dumped on their real estate without paying rent :bg3:

This is how it works over there.

Anyway, thanks a lot cadre, have fun with the pineapples :t3

Ciao Anette :wave:

PS have a great pineapple weekend

Andreas Liedmann
03-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Hi Anette , i like the stretching pose of the fox .
Well exposed , lovely colors and tone .I am also not too fuzzed about the boat as per my initial thought , but understand your thoughts .
I might try to go pano to loose the majority of the FG , does not grab me that much to be honest .
I hope you had a great time in japan and do not forget the editing plans for next year .... :w3 .... maybe

Cheers and TFS .... might get back to you later regarding India

Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
03-18-2016, 01:42 PM
Hi Andreas,

thanks a lot. Oh Japan, I think you would love that. I have our plans in mind, no worries :w3

The bush, oh well, can remove this or do pano as you said. Will see what comes across my glasses when I pull it into PS again.

Thanks a lot and enjoy your eve & weekend

Gabriela Plesea
03-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Dear Anette,

I care deeply for Wildlife and the Environment so thank you for this frame of many meanings, it did trigger some emotions in me. I found it very thought provoking.

IMO the photographer is somehow bound to tell the truth. Deep inside I might not like this, I prefer to see the happy side of things. But the force of reality in this frame is genuine enough to impress me. Don't know whether to be happy or sad when I see this fox in close proximity to humans. Despite its artificial surroundings, I admit the subject looks relaxed and rather comfortable. Even happy (love the stretch, BTW). Perhaps the boat has some mice and rats to offer. It still saddens me, and deep inside my heart there's fear - if not horror - for the future of those beautiful creatures and their offspring: some greedy human being will soon discover some value in its fur, teeth, or heaven knows what.

A well exposed frame, lovely colours and tonality. Won't go pano if this were mine, if one divides this frame in two parts (top and bottom) they depict two different worlds, a natural one (snow and grass ) and an artificial one (boat, plastic bag, window, etc.) Very powerful indeed, well done Anette:5

Warmest regards,

Anette Mossbacher
03-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Hi Gabriela,

how are the pineapples ? :2eyes2:

Thank you very much for your comment and that you took the time to write that much. Right you are, everybody only likes to see the happy/in order things. I call that the 'holy world' as we all would love the world to be like that!

But many do not like to see the dark side, us, dumping things for forever or just for a short period somewhere. The ones living there adapt and live around these, also being wild, as they do that already for years. Every year the same!

I can post walruses with rusty oil barrels in the background, polar bears with fishing nets around or plastic boxes on the beach. Did I stop taking pix when the polar bear passed these things? No and I think only 2-3 other photographers did as well not stop.

However, I think it is about time also to show the other side, the dark side when we come across it. Sadly in these days more often than I want!

All as usual IMHO or say in my thoughts... maybe the left brain side :wave:

Have a great pineapple weekend, enjoy it well

Ciao Anette :t3

haseeb badar
03-19-2016, 03:28 AM
Hi Anette -- Your seal image certainly is very impact-full infact a powerful image , showcasing the harmful effect on the seal but here the fox looks at complete ease and the human impact in the image is not just that great enough IMO .

Anette Mossbacher
03-19-2016, 07:02 AM
Thanks Haseeb :bg3:

steve torna
03-20-2016, 06:50 AM
Hi Anette,
I actually love the image because of the ship; I appreciate what you are trying to convey. In Yellowstone and the Tetons, red fox often hang around old buildings and sleep on top of trucks and trailers in the Park Utility areas. This is actually a powerful image that tells a story about the lives and adaptability of these canids. Well done in all respects

Anette Mossbacher
03-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Thank you very much Steve for your time to look and comment.

Looks like that you got my point as well. :bg3:

Wish you a great Sunday :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
04-06-2016, 09:33 AM
Anette the more I see "impact-of-man" wildlife images the more I like them.
There's a place for them in storytelling and in conservation promotion, and the competitions all recognise that. It's also possible to create images like this that combine beauty and stark shock factor of man's impact on the environment.

i like your fox images in light of the above.
the lines of the boat are pleasing and the scene tells me more about what I might expect when visiting this region

Anette Mossbacher
05-10-2016, 03:16 AM
Hi Morkel,

sorry for late reply. I was traveling on assignment. A bit hectic here. I agree with you fully with "impact-of-man". I certainly like them as well. It gets more and more tighter for the animals. Not quite yet in Africa, but in other regions/countries it does.

Thank you very much for your time to comment. :w3

Have a fantastic day

Ciao Anette