PDA

View Full Version : A calling African Jacana

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-16-2016, 02:03 PM
This is from Okavango Delta, Botswana. From a boat.
1/4000
f/8
ISO 800
5D III
700mm

Jim Crosswell
03-16-2016, 03:48 PM
I like the calling pose, pad perch, exposure and composition wise I would take a little off the top. Too bad the membrane is over the eye. Nice image Sanjeev.

Daniel Cadieux
03-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Nice light, composition, colours. Sharpness is good. I like the calling pose, but I'm with Jim about the nictitating membrane - you could replace the eye with one from an adjacent frame in the sequence (if you have it and are OK with that type of image manipulation). The green line keeps tricking me in thinking the image is slanted, but I know it is not. You could remove the two highlights in lower left corner. Pretty nice overall.

Marina Scarr
03-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Ditto above. Super calling pose, colors, light and details. Wish green slanted line in the back is playing tricks with my mind, although I know the image is level. Instead of replacing the eye, why don't you burn it, except for the catch light.

Tony Whitehead
03-16-2016, 11:30 PM
Great pose and colours, Sanjeev. All good suggestions re nictitating membrane and addressing this would take your image to the next level. Here is a quick trackpad attempt at Marina's burning suggestion which usually works well and is simple to do. A bit more time and precision on it would do the job well.

Gerhard Weldhagen
03-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Good pose and behavior captured. This is a typical perch for a jacana and you got down nice and low with the boat to capture this shot. The re-post eye looks good and working on this will lift the image even more.

keith mitchell
03-17-2016, 08:21 AM
Sanjeev I was ok with the OP but do see Marina/Tony's point,do think the calling pose is really good and nice typical Lilly pad environment,very nice work.

Marina Scarr
03-17-2016, 12:19 PM
The RP by Tony looks awesome. The good thing about burning vs. changing eyes is that one is not considered manipulation. For most contests, you can burn and dodge.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks Tony. The RP looks awesome, will try it out. Thanks for helping.