PDA

View Full Version : Fallow bucks

Stuart Philpott
03-15-2016, 03:57 PM
We were really after the mad march hares,but it was not to be,we did find three late in the day but focus had now been diverted elsewhere. mind a week back we saw the most spectacular boxing I have even been privaliged to see,I couldn't access them,such a shame I'm sure I would have got close,but the joy to see was fabulous.

We had spotted these two guys with a group of ladies from maybe 1.4 mile away. To get to them we had to massively back track to work the wind. These are utterly wild show them a sniff , a silohoutte and they are gone. My last 100yards were a crawl and the shot is taken lying down as I snuck through a hedge in one of their pathways. Light was wonderful, I have never shot at iso 500 with my 1Div before just glorious for this novice. Processed in DPP4.

These guys are hard core,Steve, sitting and waiting,(I know these guys mate sure easier than woodland but one has to go and try for them) would have got me little;dog walkers botched 3 stalks: one has to go get them. That said, i'm also going to try for a themed image if I can grab time to find one for you. It's was incredible watching the wild herd instinct at times as they spotted someone and reacted. It just wouldn't be the same on a habituated country estate herd such a wonder to watch these guys,over and over.

Time and life are not much my own stupid hours being worked, anything spare, ANY chance left, is chasing beasties,so sorry I'm not posting sharing or commenting much guys it's lame but it is how it is.

Canon 1div 300f/2.8 ext 1.4iii iso 500 (omg:bg3:) tv 1/1250 f 6.3 cropped from the bottom mainly because of the slight undulation in the ground upwards leaving me much blurred foreground and in from the left as well,I'm really unsure if I could have got closer this was hard and they could hear the shutter even against the wind. Closer I suppose would have left me one shot and they would have been away!! Focus point right guy's head.f 6.3 in an effort to get both bucks in focus.

I hope I have got everything,I've struggled intensely tonight to post the picture direct from my computer but think by knocking back the jpeg to 3 i'm finally there.

take care all cheers for being so inspiring to this learner

Stu

Steve Kaluski
03-16-2016, 04:10 AM
Morning Stu, I glad to see you toggling between here & ETL, however if I look back to your previous postings this image has come on leaps & bounds and perhaps thanks to Andreas.

Seems your fieldcraft is paying off and I can full understand & appreciate how difficult this is compared to 'Country' Parks, it's a bit like shooting birds in a garden compared to out in the 'Open'. Getting down & dirty, crawling through goodness knows what (albeit all organic) just means when you get the shot it was all worthwhile.

I'm away and viewing on the laptop, so I'll leave any 'colour' correction to those with a calibrated monitor, but to me, first impressions the colour looks good and conveys that nice time of day and softened the brighter whites which is good, no harsh highlights. I like the fact the left has a slight head turn providing a nice profile juxtapose to the right head on. Detail, sharpness also look good and I like the catchlight in the eyes. I'm 50/50 on the 'ridge' and as to whether going forward more may have been better, but then you risk spooking the deer getting within their comfort zone. Techs look good, ISO500 isn't high, but good to see you getting a half decent SS here, well done. I would just work on single shot with these, but ensure AI servo is on, giving a good pause between shots and waiting for that 'moment', chose your timings here. Personally I might loose a little off the top and may add a fraction more USM (sharpening) but that is personal preference.

There is a good support which, when retaining a low POV can be moved easily may help, I send you a like if I can find it. If you are planning to do more then you may want to think about a Ghillie suit only to help breakup your outline, but I appreciate it's budget driven.
All in all, I think you have done very well Stu, keep the hard work up. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
03-16-2016, 06:28 AM
Hi Stu - Image quality (IQ) definitely looks better here and so does the processing. Beautiful warm light and nice alert poses. I understand the limitations and admire your fieldcraft but do feel that you needed to get over the rise to include more space below but at the same time eliminate the oof fg below. If that wasn't possible then I still feel you need more room below for the virtual legs, shifting the whole comp down a bit.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
03-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Stu, well done processing is mile better (not sure what the reference to jpeg 3 is), you did well to get both bucks in pleasing focus. I fully appreciate the difficulties in getting the real deal in the wild as opposed to park specimens, so if I say the image is good but would have been better if the feet were showing and there was more distance between the bucks and the back hedge it is meant purely as a guide. We have to take what we are given but we are always wondering how to improve the image.

keith mitchell
03-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Stu would give myself a pat on the back getting these two together and the way you achieved it ,lot easier with the semi tame stuff but not the same satisfaction that this must have given you,well done mate like it a lot.

Keith.

Stuart Philpott
03-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Guys, thank all of you so so much for the replies,I'm utterly spent,but i'll come back properly as soon as I can to answer everyone. Steve I knew this was going to be a long hard slow slog,but we are not done yet mate, just wish I contribute more !!! Finally, Andreas is a star his kindness has helped me SO much Gladly I'd give all credit for any improvement to him. It was utterly superb to have some light though buddy,fab for me to actually see what my camera can do at iso 500 and still have what I felt was a reasonable TV,this is my first time ever with my mark iv shooting wildlife with a iso this low what a joy.

Chaps, all of ya,thanks so much: you inspire, share your time,knowledge and expertise, so freely and kindly
:cheers:
belucky all

Stu

Gabriela Plesea
03-16-2016, 01:23 PM
I agree with everyone above, you did well here Stu, this could not have been easy to pull off, given the conditions. Gorgeous bucks against the wall of colourful vegetation and somehow I expected the subjects to be a little "lost" against that BG but they stand out quite well:cheers:

If this were mine I would perhaps crop more from the top as I feel this area does not add to the image. More space is needed at the bottom of the frame, if only to allow for those "virtual" legs of the subjects (and despite those OOF greens you probably did not like). Sharpness is good, colours also, nice pose from the two (I get the impression they were "measuring" each other...)

I could be mistaken so please correct me if I am wrong, I seem to notice a line across the subjects' bodies, one that stretches from one side of the frame to the other - perhaps a fence line you did not notice at the time you were capturing this? It is quite light in colour and not easily noticeable, darkening it with the burn tool could help diminish it.

Overall nice work Stu, always exciting to see different species and just happy to see you experimenting in the field as well as with PP work, keep them coming:w3

Kind regards,

Stuart Philpott
03-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Morning Stu, I glad to see you toggling between here & ETL, however if I look back to your previous postings this image has come on leaps & bounds and perhaps thanks to Andreas.

Seems your fieldcraft is paying off and I can full understand & appreciate how difficult this is compared to 'Country' Parks, it's a bit like shooting birds in a garden compared to out in the 'Open'. Getting down & dirty, crawling through goodness knows what (albeit all organic) just means when you get the shot it was all worthwhile.

I'm away and viewing on the laptop, so I'll leave any 'colour' correction to those with a calibrated monitor, but to me, first impressions the colour looks good and conveys that nice time of day and softened the brighter whites which is good, no harsh highlights. I like the fact the left has a slight head turn providing a nice profile juxtapose to the right head on. Detail, sharpness also look good and I like the catchlight in the eyes. I'm 50/50 on the 'ridge' and as to whether going forward more may have been better, but then you risk spooking the deer getting within their comfort zone. Techs look good, ISO500 isn't high, but good to see you getting a half decent SS here, well done. I would just work on single shot with these, but ensure AI servo is on, giving a good pause between shots and waiting for that 'moment', chose your timings here. Personally I might loose a little off the top and may add a fraction more USM (sharpening) but that is personal preference.

There is a good support which, when retaining a low POV can be moved easily may help, I send you a like if I can find it. If you are planning to do more then you may want to think about a Ghillie suit only to help breakup your outline, but I appreciate it's budget driven.
All in all, I think you have done very well Stu, keep the hard work up. :cheers:

TFS
Steve
Evenin' good sir...howya doing?
Steve,got me head down an hour,i'm going to try and get to as many as poss before the musak starts. Oh first up this will never be hard work bro,what I do for a crust is hard, really hard core, **** I'm fit not which is great for a handholding guy:w3this is JOY...... but cheers for the sentiments mate,I get it:5.

Second,Steve i'm an outdoor guy,really good gear camo wise is crucial to me. I'd like to share this bit with the group before we talk about me and me picture. Steve there is a range of clothing made by a company in Canada called Sportschief. It is shooting ware which is an emotive subject,but I'm interested only in sharing how good these clothes are both in bad weather and camoflage. Lokk guys if you live somewhere warm ,or are going to be taking pics somewhere warm,these are not for you. But if you are going somewhere cold and sitting and waiting,hopefully for that dream picture,like so many of us in blighty do check this range of clothing out. Steve these are some very fine clothes,waterproof silent windproof and above all,although expensive they are incredible value for money. Why, because i'm stalking in ( jeepers this bit is hard to be accurate on) but around a twenty year old coat,that is still utterly water and windproof. Ironically while stalking another group I put a second hole in it just before this stalk,barbed wire has been the only thing to tare this,I crawled across some. So for anyone in the group that wants to be able to go out roll around in wet mud sit in a hide for hours this range is utterly outstanding. Steve cheers for the recomendation of the ghillie,i'm aware,I do want a new coat ,but only because the colours in my coat have started to fade,but I'll be saving for a new sportscheif,I wouldn't ever buy anything else now. With the modern advancements in camo, and fabric,the newer ranges will be even more suited to patient photographers toughing out a wait. Hear me guys...... I can't share much here,you are all so far advanced,as photographers, but I can share this !!!! This is seriously fine gear, I've hammered this coat, been out looking after wild and domestic fowl for years even the deluge that was the easter floods a few years back in blighty didn't touch this,we both worked through that day and came home dry. It is a long term investment,but a cold wet tog doesn't keep still. So for all you guys that live somewhere where it's inclement and are **** bent on getting close and keeping your body warm and dry,this stuff is proven. Oh while talking fieldcraft and clothing and how this shot happened, I also use army scrimm net as a scarfe come face veil,nowt gets in your neck green or camo gloves even camo boots in winter,check out total fishing gear boots (UK),ideal for us toasty dry feet are **** important while waiting I'm winter,in summer I'll be in trainers,something soft where one can feel through the foot so the twig doesn't break.

He he:bg3: picture huh.

Steve i'm starting to get out just a bit in evenings, now the dearth of winter is over,still not as much as i'd want ,but being able to have the camera more in my hands is helping muchly. Got some barn owls to share when I get five mins. Progress is slow but I'm going to keep coming I want this. shot was taken late in the day as you noticed,just before the clouds came to produce a blistering sunset,which sadly I had to abandon,wish I could have stayed longer,work is clobbering much as I'm burning both ends of this old candle.

I think the boys might be brothers note the similarity with the front spurs,right buck might have a broken jaw. Parkland deer are a world away from these guys, so yup I decided to try for something at this distance, I wanted those legs in too and to be closer,but tried for something first,as I was pushing my luck anyway,they are so **** sharp mate these are some alert beasties. Shaz reckons it took me an hour to get here,so yup really wanted at least this and then......

Interesting and cool shout on the single shot,cheers for that,I was in AI servo but multi just in case something mad happened,they could have been spooked by others so was trying to cover my bases.
I'd love a link support wise,the land helped me much mate as I'd crawled upwards and had a pretty steady lump of mud to work off.
As always at the moment we are still in dpp4,ps will come Steve,I'm **** bent on it and learning it,but so little time mate at the mo I'll not assimilate much,but the game plan of banking images is still in place,and i'm getting out with my beloved camera and lens,it's wicked buddy.

Crop points utterly taken on board,I'll repost soon,I did try for the virtual legs but obviously the guys wonderful eyes have confrirmed I didn't get there.
Yup I set shutter to what I thought I could get away with then f then worked with the iso ,I can't tell you how lovely that bit was Steve to see it come out at 500 is utterly new for me,genuinley my first time that low.

Is that what you have done in the repost slight more sharpening to the deer.

Folks I'm back to it,I wanted to get further ,but my apologies,must dash please don't think I'll of me,I thank you all so much for the help and replies

take care my friends

Stu

Anette Mossbacher
03-16-2016, 03:56 PM
Hi Stu,

you did well with achieving this image. :w3

I am with Rachel with the virtual feet. The way Steve cropped brings the image a bit more up. The IQ looks good to me as well.

Well done and good luck on your next outing :bg3:

Have a great evening

Ciao Anette

haseeb badar
03-17-2016, 04:21 AM
Hi Stu -- agree with the above , nicely captured considering the conditions and PP is certainly looking better but to be frank this image isn't grabbing me at all and the main reason is the BKG especially the distance between the subjects and the BKG makes this one a distracting frame and also the FG isnt helping here either .

Good going Stu and TFS !

Stuart Philpott
03-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Hi Stu - Image quality (IQ) definitely looks better here and so does the processing. Beautiful warm light and nice alert poses. I understand the limitations and admire your fieldcraft but do feel that you needed to get over the rise to include more space below but at the same time eliminate the oof fg below. If that wasn't possible then I still feel you need more room below for the virtual legs, shifting the whole comp down a bit.

TFS,
Rachel
Hiya Rachel; thanks for the encouraging words,as always:w3,yup I'll repost on the crop,I did ponder the virtual legs, but obviously didn't go down quite enough, cracking point made by many here for me.

Ahh Rachel I so wanted to get closer,my goal was full frame,but they are so **** alert,I went for the easier option which at least got me something. With more wind maybe I could have got closer,but as it was they must have heard the shutter,hence the face on pose. I'm sure they hadn't seen me though, as they would have been away to the next county. With hindsight I think I did the right thing:the light shut down, it can't have been more minutes later, as well,quite a drastic shift. Although I was unaware this was about to happen at the time. So for me it's really cool to have got this,but I think you are right and there was *and is) more to be had.

But hey, everything is a work in progress Rachel,it's all good:bg3::they are close to me, I have permission to wonder the land and take pics,each time we go out we learn a little more(about them and the camera). I don't really expect or dream of knocking anything out of the park yet mate, of taking any images like you guys do.....but i'm **** bent on trying. Just little notches upwards suit me fine mate,it's wonderful to have such kind educated advice plus many seem to feel a slight improvement in IQ and processing

I'm a happy bunny mate: I got two or the toughest to approach boys I know in frame,bucks are thin on the ground here. I want more and with time hopefully will be able to share this here,little steps upwards and more than likely a few backwards is all part of the fun,

thanks for the help Rachel it's truly appreciated

Stu

Stuart Philpott
03-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Stu, well done processing is mile better (not sure what the reference to jpeg 3 is), you did well to get both bucks in pleasing focus. I fully appreciate the difficulties in getting the real deal in the wild as opposed to park specimens, so if I say the image is good but would have been better if the feet were showing and there was more distance between the bucks and the back hedge it is meant purely as a guide. We have to take what we are given but we are always wondering how to improve the image.

Thanks for the positive comments John as with Rachel and Steve I completely agree, I SO wanted those legs,ok I wanted no crop full stop,but tried to be realistic. such a rare chance to have two together here,i've only seen that ever once before. Maybe next time or more likely in a good while. They'll drop antlers soon I guess,some of the younger bucks already have,so immediate chances might be somewhat limited anyway,but thanks so much for the time taken and your thoughts,proper grateful Johnathon. Buddy, never worry about any"perceived" negative with me,I want this, I need to learn,posts here come from a good place, Put it this way..... some guy whose images I admire whom I have never met is giving me their time. I share your sentiments:cheers:

Ha, started writing to you but dragged myself out in fading glorious light to a trio of Roe,outside the house,ahh to slow on the stalk no light ,futile but I got to them so relaxed they were lying down,ahh 20 mins earlier.

Buddy I had to resize my 1200x800 jpeg down to 3 to get under the 400 is it KB Kb? kilobytes??? Before I have been able to load at 5 the number is referencing image quality of the jpeg,,,, I think ,sorry **** tired!!! It just took me ages to work out why I couldn't load my picture tis all John ,could this be to do with the size of a crop??. Sorry digressing i don't want to take things too far off topic ,I'm bad at that,but that was what the frustrated last ref. was to, sorry for being vague.

take care

stu

Stuart Philpott
03-17-2016, 03:53 PM
I agree with everyone above, you did well here Stu, this could not have been easy to pull off, given the conditions. Gorgeous bucks against the wall of colourful vegetation and somehow I expected the subjects to be a little "lost" against that BG but they stand out quite well:cheers:

If this were mine I would perhaps crop more from the top as I feel this area does not add to the image. More space is needed at the bottom of the frame, if only to allow for those "virtual" legs of the subjects (and despite those OOF greens you probably did not like). Sharpness is good, colours also, nice pose from the two (I get the impression they were "measuring" each other...)

I could be mistaken so please correct me if I am wrong, I seem to notice a line across the subjects' bodies, one that stretches from one side of the frame to the other - perhaps a fence line you did not notice at the time you were capturing this? It is quite light in colour and not easily noticeable, darkening it with the burn tool could help diminish it.

Overall nice work Stu, always exciting to see different species and just happy to see you experimenting in the field as well as with PP work, keep them coming:w3

Kind regards,

Gabriela,good eyes mate. Yes there is a fence, strands of electricuted wire. I have permission from the farm manager to take pics of these deer,on a good olde English country estate big house the whole shebang. They shoot pheasent and partridge as well as the deer being culled. Gabriela,These numbers here have to be managed, I guess,they would destroy the place, but they are huge,for blightly. One frame contains 47 individuals that I took on sunday just record shots and measuring exposure,we saw other groups. So the fence is around a place where they must release and provide cover from the deer I guess for the pheasants and partrige. There was a crop of maize standing until recently,this amount of deer would munch that in no time. Gabriela, I have never seen this type of thick wire say ten foot high fence so this is best guess,I'm sure that's what it's for though the birds can come and go as they please but not the deer. I believe I'm shooing through it twice
as it's curved,I would have been in the place I wanted to be to get round this,with the hedge running away up the bank, to the right...ha that was the theory but I'd have been right tight on them and so wanted to try for something. So from this spot I have no way of avoiding it. it's ten feet or so of strands say a foot apart maybe 9 inches had to take my chance. Interesting one could lessen it's impact, I just thought it would show or wouldn't,best get something but it would always be part of the image if it did show. Surely another thing to ponder about what ps can do

Lovely having so many similar views on the crop thankyou as well ,i'll get there:bg3:

Thanks so much mate Fallow are glorious, another non native I think the Romans brought them here???? Colour variation is wide sometimes spotty just amazing animals stunningly beautiful. Mate there is a wonder to these that you know about I suppose in Africa,that is maybe rare here . I simply haven't ever see heads of big deering running very wild,smaller groups yes apart from places like exmoor obviously with the reds So this lot are a bit special to me personally,it's lovely trying to learn about them and watch the herd as well as the individuals... magical thing!!

Thanks so much mate

take care

Stu

Gabriela Plesea
03-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Dear Stu,

In the future, try avoid those strands of electric fence in the frame. Also, important to pay attention to elements surrounding your subject. One can - to some extent - eliminate or diminish distracting bits and obtrusive backgrounds, be it man made or natural. I do not know that much about fences and wires, all I can say is, a bad/not aesthetically pleasing composition can ruin an otherwise interesting image.

I am looking forward to your next post - hope you do not mind my short reply, I see you already received good critique and advice above. I must admit I got a bit lost among all your explanations, let us try stick to the topic please, in the future:w3

Kind regards,

Stuart Philpott
03-19-2016, 05:55 AM
Dear Stu,

In the future, try avoid those strands of electric fence in the frame. Also, important to pay attention to elements surrounding your subject. One can - to some extent - eliminate or diminish distracting bits and obtrusive backgrounds, be it man made or natural. I do not know that much about fences and wires, all I can say is, a bad/not aesthetically pleasing composition can ruin an otherwise interesting image.

I am looking forward to your next post - hope you do not mind my short reply, I see you already received good critique and advice above. I must admit I got a bit lost among all your explanations, let us try stick to the topic please, in the future:w3

Kind regards,
Sorry kiddo, I ramble, especially when tired.....taken on board Gabriela:bg3: I'll try and be more focused. Thanks for the tips mate truly appreciated.

Thanks for all the responses,Haseeb appreciate your honesty!!!!!

take care

Stu