PDA

View Full Version : Snares Penguin

Tony Whitehead
03-15-2016, 03:11 AM
These crested penguins are endemic to the Snares, a small group of uninhabited, pest-free, rocky islands south of New Zealand that are a pristine haven for seabirds. I was lucky to be on an expedition to these islands as well as the Auckland Islands and Campbell Island shortly after New Year. I have posted a resource to the Antarctica/NZ/Australia regional forum linking to my blog posts that are being published on this trip for any interested in visiting this unique habitat.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/134179-New-Zealand-Subantarctic-Islands
Nikon D810, Nikon 80-400 AFS VR @ 400mm 1/1000s f5.6 ISO 1600. Manual exposure. Shot form Zodiac as landing not permitted to avoid risk of pest introduction and habitat damage.
Comments and advice appreciated as always.

David Cowling
03-15-2016, 09:56 AM
A truly wonderful image of a bird in it's natural habitat. The pose and feather detail are excellent and the long trails of seaweed convey a sense of place. To be really nit picky it would have been nice to see the other foot, but that doesn't bother me too much. Great shooting from a zodiac. I have just enjoyed viewing your blog on the expedition.

Daniel Cadieux
03-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Oh man, the seaweeds and background make the image for me...very neat! The penguin looks great too. Thanks for the link to your blog....

keith mitchell
03-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Tony it's good that they are looking after these birds and there habitat,superb detail on the Penguin and agree that seaweed finishes it off nicely,very nice work.

Keith.

Stu Bowie
03-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Hi Tony, great comp with the penquin looking into space, and once again, well exposed on this fellow. I do like the detail and colours on his face/head, and the foliage reminds me of water cascading over a waterfall.

Marina Scarr
05-10-2016, 07:21 AM
The environment really makes this image!!