Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/2000
Av(Aperture Value) 13
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1/3
ISO Speed 2500
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +2x
Focal Length 1000.0mm

What a great day I had - brown hares in the morning and courting grebes in the afternoon.

Glennie Passier
03-14-2016, 05:58 PM
Terrific Jonathon! I love the action. I've never seen this before. What fun it must have been to witness. Well seen and well captured. The only thing I might consider is toning down the bigger, brighter OOF on the LHS.

TFS!

Arthur Morris
03-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Great birds. Great action. Shoreline in the wrong place :( a

Marina Scarr
03-14-2016, 09:06 PM
What amazing behavior you captured here. Love the hand off and the water spray. I know we can't control nature, but I sure wish for a smoother BG here but this pair still stand out quite well!

Kirk Benson
03-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Super cool action and these GCG's are just beautiful. Nice capture Jonathan.

Kirk

Tony Whitehead
03-15-2016, 02:42 AM
Well done to catch this action, Jonathan. Selectively reducing tonal contrast on the BG may be an option and I wonder about decentering the birds to the left of the frame if possible. Quick and nasty laptop trackpad edit to give an idea of reduced tonal contrast on BG

keith mitchell
03-15-2016, 03:07 AM
Jonathan little nits covered,think it's great the way you have captured this.

Keith.

David Cowling
03-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Nice one Jonathan. Good capture of the action. Have you thought about a vertical crop? I just thought it might concentrate the action even more although it might be a bit tight as a 3x2.

Stu Bowie
03-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Hi Jon, lovely behaviour captured here, good low shooting angle, and well exposed on both. The flying water from the action adds to the image. I like what Tony achieved on the BG.

William Dickson
03-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Hey Jon, great capture, love the dancing pose and the exposure is good. I have been trying to get this shot for a couple of weeks now, so I know how difficult it is, as these Grebes are very aware of human presence just now, so well done.

Will

David Salem
03-15-2016, 11:45 PM
Very cool Jon! I have been chasing our Grebes around the last few weeks as they are starting their courtship behaviors and their rushing dance. Do the Great Crested rush also? The shot looks great but I wish you were a bit to the right to have them lined up better, but what can you do. The RP helped with the BG. Well done capturing this display.

Jonathan Ashton
03-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks fro your comments and modification much appreciated. I have been back again and got more shots of the weed dance but again the background is less than ideal. The last time I took some camo netting and took images from a standing position, I think this will help with the background.
David these grebes have quite a few different dances and they do indeed rush towards one another but I have never seen a display quite like the one you have captured. Fingers crossed I will keep going back and hopefully I will get a clear shot in the centre of the pond..and in good light!