PDA

View Full Version : Hoverfly Feeding.

David Cowling
03-14-2016, 04:43 PM
A reminder of summer. I think that hoverflies make great subjects for macro.

Panasonic GH3. 100 mm Macro lens. Fill Flash.

1/250 @ f 16 ISO 160

Ron Conlon
03-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Love the setting, color and depth of field. Perhaps a little more black to make it pop? particularly on the head and thorax so perhaps burn in some shadow there.

John Robinson
03-16-2016, 08:20 AM
Hi David
Nice Arty effect on this one. I do agree with Ron,- a bit more "oomph" would finish it off. Bit of burning or levels etc which ever method .
Different sort of shot which is good.
Cheers
John

Steve Maxson
03-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Hoverflies are pretty cool - and many of them are mimics of bees or wasps. I like the feeding pose you captured and all the pollen adds interest. Nice DOF on the fly, but I'm seeing some rather distinct sharpening halos so you might want to back off on the sharpening a bit. It looks like some of the reds might be blown with no detail. You might try to selectively desaturate the reds a little to see if that helps. If you are using Photoshop, you might try using the Selective Color adjustment to add some cyan to the reds as that might also help. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
03-18-2016, 12:35 PM
David I like the shot but I think it looks a bit washed out. Was it under exposed and you lifted the darks a bit too much? Or was it over exposed?

Diane Miller
03-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Very interesting vertical composition, great detail and lovely colors! A bit more punch in the darks could be nice. If it were mine I'd try to change the color and tonality of the lighter pink OOF petal in the LL to make it less conspicuous, or even clone it out.