PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Campion

Ed Vatza
06-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Here is an image from yesterday that I am really torn over. I like the composition a lot. The flower was backlit early in the morning witness all the morning dew. One thing bothers me here. That is the lighter yellow-green stripe running down the background behind the flower. I thought I had the background "perfect". Don't know where that came from but it is in every image. Your thoughts?

This image was made using my Rebel XT with a Sigma 150mm Macro lens and a 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox mounted on a flexible bracket. The whole thing was then tripod mounted with a Novoflex macro focusing rail.

1/13 sec at f/22; ISO 400; -2/3 EV: FEC -1

John Cooper
06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
You certainly get onto some very interesting flowers Ed!!
This is a lovely composition and the dew drops are a bonus. The "mystery" BG element you are worried about is way too minor and doesn't distract from your beautiful subject. If anything needs changing I would like to see just a bit more of the bud on right side of frame.

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Ed,
Indeed a very nice dewey subject......................I'm wishing the center bloom wasn't there as it makes the others blend in. Your BG's are getting very good! Keep up the good work!

Alfred Forns
06-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Aside from suggestions would try soft light Will make a big difference !!! Excellent image !!!

Mike Moats
06-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Hey Ed, I like the comp with the three flowers as it shows the front view (bottom) side view (top) and backside (middle). Water drops add a nice touch.

Stephen Stephen
06-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I'd be pleased with this one Ed. I've photographed this species but never with dew on it. Very nice.

Bob Allen
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Lovely shot! Is it Silene vulgaris?

I do wish that the styles of the top flower were more in focus, a touch more dof would do it. Two of the 3 styles of the lower flower are entangled. Would be nice to see them separated.

Ed Vatza
06-11-2008, 05:05 AM
John, Roman, Al, Mike, Stephen, Bob,

Thank you all for you comments, feedback, critiques and time. I particularly appreciate your comments regarding the background since that was my initial concern. We are often our own worst critics and the yellowish stripe, I guess, bothered me more than it really should have. I have tried to take your advice regarding backgrounds (and everything else, for that matter) to heart. I am now much happier with my backgrounds and my images although I feel the need to still breathe more life into the images that I make.

Bob, I do believe this is the Silene vulgaris. At least that is what I based my id on. Regarding dof, I made this image at f/22 because I wanted to capture the three flowers/buds showing the three different perspectives, as Mike noted, as sharply as possible. I can't stop down any farther with this set up. Now I have been known to go to f/32 on occasion when shooting with my 30D and 70-200 with a 500D close-up lens. But not with the XT and Sigma 150.

Again, thanks to all of you.