PDA

View Full Version : The Bow Wake.

Daniel Cadieux
03-13-2016, 08:13 PM
I realize I posted a Northern Pintail portrait just a few days ago, but I reviewed this frame after-the-fact and immediately fell for the awesome bow wake:tinysmile_shy_t:. It's always a pleasure to photograph waterfowl struggling against strong currents as many sizes and variations of bow wakes are made. Lots of fun to pick and choose the best frames afterwards too! The diffused light was off to my right, the head angled any less towards me wold have put the face in the shade...

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/8, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, about 80% FF.

For more on winter duck photography fun please do check out my brand spanking new blog that I debuted yesterday by clicking the link below!
http://www.dancadphotography.com/scouting-the-mallards-and-going-tight/

Satish Ranadive
03-14-2016, 12:53 AM
Magnificent portrait, Daniel Sir.
love the elegantly captured bow wake showing his colors through. Water colors are nicely complimenting with beak color.
Superb colors and details as usual. Beautiful composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Tony Whitehead
03-14-2016, 02:30 AM
Love the textures of the water, plumage and water droplets, Dan. Enjoyed reading your blog.

Jon Groves
03-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Great low angle and the details are incredible. Drake pintails are the most handsome of ducks.

Jim Crosswell
03-14-2016, 03:43 PM
I like the bow wave, exposure, details, IQ and composition. The water on the forehead forming a water drop is interesting. Excellent image Daniel!

Robert Kimbrell
03-14-2016, 07:16 PM
The bow wake really tops off this image. I love the clarity of it. I look forward to checking out your new blog.

Kirk Benson
03-15-2016, 02:45 AM
These ducks are so beautiful, we have plenty of them in SoCal, but for all of my trying I've yet to get anything even close to this good.
I really like the light hitting from the right, and the nice head angle to catch the light so well. Wonderful color and amazing detail, and your composition is well seen.
Of course it's cool to see the bow wake and droplets on it's back. Excellent work Daniel. :-)

Kirk