Allen Sparks
03-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Canon 7D, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 1.4x TC II
ISO 400, f16, 1/640s

A shot from this past summer...

John Robinson
03-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Nice one Alan
Like the way the proboscis in in the floret. - and the insect too !
Well done.!! Is it much of a crop ?? I am feeling the whole thing would be nice on the angle ?
Just a thought
John

David Cowling
03-14-2016, 03:51 PM
A lovely image of a beautiful butterfly. Good DOF allowing excellent detail in the wings, fur and eyes. Nice to see the insect feeding. The addition of the small insect is a bonus. I might be tempted to crop about 1/2 inch from the bottom to allow the eye to focus more on the butterfly.

Ron Conlon
03-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Lovely. Very cool to have so much activity. I don't know what the solution to the framing is, but will give yet another option--make it a little more vertical by coming in from the right and adding some canvas to the top. Don't you love armchair photography?!

Steve Maxson
03-15-2016, 02:45 PM
The subject is very sharp and gave you a nice pose. Good DOF also. The flying bee is a nice bonus! I might suggest cloning the OOF stem in the LLC just to clean that area up a bit. Some interesting thoughts on composition, above. Good thing you have a very strong original that would look great cropped in a variety of ways. :S3:

John Robinson
03-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Alan
Heres what I meant. Hope you don't mind. Its the first time I,ve ever mucked about with anyone,s shot I think!!
Cheers
John

Allen Sparks
03-15-2016, 08:05 PM
John, yes that's an interesting take to the image. I think it works well like this. This is a shot I put in the archives last summer and didn't think much more about it - I did like the little bee. Decided to share it now since I haven't posted in macro in so long.
Thanks for the idea and repost.
Allen

Jonathan Ashton
03-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Very nice indeed Alan, I wonder what it would do to add a tinny bit of vibrance to the butterfly? I think John's crop works rather well.