PDA

View Full Version : Theme Serengeti cheetah sunset.

Marc Mol
03-11-2016, 03:12 PM
A female cheetah stands vigilant over another beautiful sunset in the Serengeti. She has her eyes fixed on a small herd of Thompson's Gazelle in the distance.

D4 Nikkor 500 f/4 VR 1/400s f/4 ISO1600. F/F curves, levels, TK adj, in ACr & PS CC'15.

Ndutu/Serengeti- Northern Tanzania.

Cheers
Marc

Mike Poole
03-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Wow, fits the theme perfectly. Beautiful serene shot, the head is just about high enough to break the horizon, and the rim light on the body is a great touch.

Mike

haseeb badar
03-12-2016, 04:49 AM
Hi Marc -- the colours look much better than the last time you posted from the same sighting and works well with the theme . the rim lighting is adding much to the image and so the different shades in the sky .

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
03-12-2016, 07:06 AM
Hi Marc - This really demonstrates the purpose of the theme - you can have a connection without eye contact. The rim light adds to it as does the placement of the cheetah in frame. If it were mine I would still reduce the cyan more but you were there. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-12-2016, 09:57 AM
A very nice scene Marc. I like the light and the comp a lot. Nice one for the theme. TFS.

steve torna
03-12-2016, 10:51 AM
The light is beautiful and I see a subtle glow of lovely rim lighting around the subject. I agree that this image is an example of making that emotional connection without looking at the eyes. The scene is peaceful and tranquil, It definitely inspires my curiosity about the animal and the environment. I can almost hear the serenity and quiet of the moment. steve

Andre Pretorius
03-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Hi Marc

Comp works and DOF adds to the mood.
What exposure technique did you use here?
Good one!

Gabriela Plesea
03-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Hello Marc,

A perfect Theme image IMO. Very evocative and in terms of techs this works for me on all counts.

Well composed, what lovely mood you captured here, Marc - I can look at this frame every day, if it were mine I would print it big!

Kind regards,

Jonathan Ashton
03-12-2016, 03:14 PM
A beautiful image I don't know if it would be worthwhile desaturating the greens and making them just a tiny tad brighter?

keith mitchell
03-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Marc when I first started taking pictures I was told that the subject that was not looking at you was not acceptable,this excellent image just shows how wrong we can be,love it.

Keith.

Stuart Philpott
03-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Marc when I first started taking pictures I was told that the subject that was not looking at you was not acceptable,this excellent image just shows how wrong we can be,love it.

Keith.Keith should we really adhere to rules???? I only ask this because I've deleted images today on this principal and Marc has just educated me on a profound level. I need to trust myself a lot more. It will be a long time before I do,with so much to learn,but for me such an important lesson.

Serene Marc,her gaze draws me to what you know and have shared with us,but I'd be happy to be wondering. You African photogrphers make me think so hard about what I want to try and achieve as I try to learn this craft.

Marc how difficult is it to get into position for a shot like this can you describe this facet for me. I'd like to know how this was approached please?

So many thanks for sharing Marc

take care

Stu

Marc Mol
03-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Many thanks for your positive comments everyone, much appreciated.

What exposure technique did you use here?

Thanks Andre

I metered for the sky and used S/H & TK adj's for the FG, nothing too complex.

Marc how difficult is it to get into position for a shot like this can you describe this facet for me. I'd like to know how this was approached please?

Thanks Stuart

Having a long focal length prime lens like my 500/4 helps with subject isolation and a good steady bean bag positioned as low in the vehicle (as possible), such as the front pax seat along with a cooperative subject that was accustomed to vehicles is another bonus.

Another point to remember is if you're in a vehicle with other clients/guests, would be to kindly ask them to remain still whilst you capture the image, and one reason why I always ensure I have a private vehicle when not having any clients.

Cheers
Marc

Stuart Philpott
03-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Many thanks for your positive comments everyone, much appreciated.

Thanks Andre

I metered for the sky and used S/H & TK adj's for the FG, nothing too complex.

Thanks Stuart

Having a long focal length prime lens like my 500/4 helps with subject isolation and a good steady bean bag positioned as low in the vehicle (as possible), such as the front pax seat along with a cooperative subject that was accustomed to vehicles is another bonus.

Another point to remember is if you're in a vehicle with other clients/guests, would be to kindly ask them to remain still whilst you capture the image, and one reason why I always ensure I have a private vehicle when not having any clients.

Cheers
Marc

Marc, it would be none other than a dream to even visit Africa, for me. But, it's so cool to be able to know how these images are taken,Thankyou for sharing your valuable time and expertise with me it's really appreciated. What is a front pax seat i'm presuming something removable??

Still a sublime image and so inspiring

take care

Stu

Marc Mol
03-16-2016, 02:50 AM
What is a front pax seat i'm presuming something removable??

Front passenger seat :w3