PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Female Snowy Owl

Jon Groves
03-10-2016, 12:52 PM
This feet down pose is a tough to get with a snowy owl in flight because a bunch of conditions have to line up perfectly. When the temperature warms to the point where snow sticks to the owl's feathered feet they will quickly clear the snow immediately after take off with a couple swift kicks. It's a unique pose and this is the most symmetrical image of this behaviour that I have taken. I wish the light wasn't so harsh as this would eliminate the shadows at the top of her eyes. I decided to crop this one square because the wing position fit perfectly while keeping her shadow on the snow in frame. It seemed there was too much empty space on either side of the owl otherwise but I open to suggestions. Owl was attracted with food.

7D II | 300mm F2.8 + 1.4X | 1/6400 | F6.3 | ISO800

steve torna
03-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Hi Jon, I would call this one "snowy weaponry"; the pose is outstanding as is the intensity of the moment. The light is a little harsh but it doesn't bother me because its such a dynamic capture. The snow does appear blue or purplish on my screen (maybe the snow did have a purplish hue), I think that the image would look better if everything was white. I like the soft blue background as well. Excellent capture steve

Adhika Lie
03-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Very nice action pose! I think I would brighten up this image a little bit to make the whites a little more brilliant.

Wilhelm Waltermann
03-10-2016, 02:15 PM
where you can make those photos? tremendous!
W

David Cowling
03-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Terrific flight pose. The eyes and the extended claws tell the story of what this bird is all about. The snow does look a bit of a strange colour but that may be how it was because the white in the bird is excellent.

Daniel Cadieux
03-10-2016, 04:50 PM
I love it when they do that. One of the ones we had here this winter would do that after taking off from fence posts (ours would seldom land on the ground), pretty cool to see that foot motion in the viewfinder. Spectacular image all around, ticks all my boxes and then some. The shadows in the eyes do not bother me either, it actually gives some depth to them.

arash_hazeghi
03-10-2016, 07:20 PM
A winner frame for sure, love the dynamic pose with clear view of both talons.Great eye contact, sharp and good whites exposure, The shadows are very subtle here and don't subtract from this excellent frame. I like the tight crop too, I'd run some NR on the BG

TFS

David Salem
03-11-2016, 12:43 AM
Wow!! What a killer frame!! I love the head on stare with both eyes lit well and the hanging legs and talons put this one over the top. Nice looking exposure and details. The square comp looks awesome and is exactly how I would have composed it, tight and in your face details!
The shadow and the blue BG finish this off perfectly. Love to have something like this in my portfolio. Well done

Lorant Voros
03-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Indeed wow. Super powerful head on snowy shot. Hat's off, Jon.

Mike Poole
03-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Simply a stunning frame from the head on pose to the wing and feet positions, with the shadow being a nice touch. Not too sure about the colour of the snow, but otherwise absolutely superb.

Mike

Eric Dienesch
03-12-2016, 06:32 AM
What would i give for such a great experience.
Wonderful, a really outstanding shot !!!

Ritesh Nangare
03-12-2016, 07:06 AM
What an Beautiful Incoming Pose and what an brilliant white you have here... love the eye contact with the lens .....

Just far then superb .....

TFS...