PDA

View Full Version : early morning -- shuffleboard courts

Dennis Bishop
03-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Like nearly everything I photograph, this started out as an HDR series. When getting ready to process it, though, I decided to use only the middle shot and selectively alter the highlights and shadows.

iPhone 5s, ISO 250, f/2.2, 1/1250 sec, PureShot camera app, probably with an iPro Super Wide Angle auxiliary lens

processing highlights

The sky wasn't blown out, but it was featureless and uniform in tone, so I added an HDR sky taken a hundred or so miles away (and much later in the day). The rays were added with Red Giant's Knoll Light Factory; the sun with a soft brush on an otherwise empty layer.
Topaz Simplify -- saved watercolor preset, partially masked
Alien Skin Snap Art -- saved watercolor wash preset, Hard Light blend mode
Fractalius -- three black on white presets; Multiply, Divide, Multiply; all masked but with an additional partial gradient on the Divide layer
Simplify and Snap Art -- saved black edges on white presets, Multiply, different masks

Mitch Carucci
03-09-2016, 12:54 PM
A great example of how you manage to take an ordinary scene and make it sing! Wish I could do that...

Hazel Grant
03-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Excellent blending of darks and lights. That sky gives depth to the overall picture. Having the whole court complete with lettering is good. anchors. it.

Nancy Bell
03-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Wonderful "stretched" lines from the wide angle view, and dramatic early morning light. I agree with Mitch!

Cheryl Slechta
03-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Dennis, I love the perspective and of course, your rendering is fantastic.:S3:

Anita Bower
03-14-2016, 06:35 AM
Your selective highlights and shadows, along with the distortion of the wide-angle lens, create a dramatic image. I very much like the bits of bright light which cause my eye to move around the image. The sky and sun rays work seamlessly. The courts look pristine and welcoming, just waiting for players to arrive. Wonderful image!!!!