PDA

View Full Version : Backs to the wall

Marc Mol
03-07-2016, 03:22 PM
From an amazing encounter between a pack of 8 Wild Dog and a lone Hyena in the Sabie Sands late last year.

See how it finished here in Gabriela's great Sequence forum :w3:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=216

D4s 400 f/2.8E FL 1/1600s f/5.6 ISO 640, bean bag from front pax seat, cropped for comp, slight levelling, curves, levels, TK adj in PS CC '15 & ACR.

SSGR- South Africa

Cheers
Marc

keith mitchell
03-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Great capture of the action Marc with the added bonus of the Hippo audience, that Hyena looks like it can look after itself but can't help felling a tad sorry for it.

Keith.

haseeb badar
03-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Hi Marc -- This is some story telling image ! Loved the scene here and the inclusion of hippo works for me . I find the blacks on the LHS WD a bit strong compared to the others . And also what is that smoke like thing on the 3 RHS WD's ?

TFS !

Marc Mol
03-08-2016, 02:08 AM
Appreciate the comments Keith & Haseeb.

And also what is that smoke like thing on the 3 RHS WD's ?

It's the sand/dust cloud kicked up by all the commotion.

Rachel Hollander
03-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Hi Marc - I remember your other post from this sighting. I like the sense of drama here. I am of 2 minds about the hippo. I think it works in the series shown together but with this as a standalone image, I find the partial hippo at the frame edge a distraction. A more pano crop without the hippo really focuses attention on the hyena and dogs. Just my thoughts.

TFS,
Rachel

Mike Poole
03-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Great action scene, you really feel for the hyena. I'd argue for keeping the hippo in, he really adds the the feeling that the Hyena has nowhere to run and has no option but to fight his way out.

Mike

Andre Pretorius
03-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Hi Marc

For me the inclusion of the hippie is cool in sequences- it works well in there, escpecially in the last image of your SQ, but the exclusion
of it here makes for a more powerfull image with all attention focussed on the Hyena- it is in deep sh..t, nowhere to go...
I would even crop closer (if IQ can take it) to make this more powerful, in your face...
In this crop, the hyena has hit dire straights, no way out; what now...?
WDYT?

Gabriela Plesea
03-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Hello Marc,

I absolutely loved your story sequence, including this frame. And I too wonder about the inclusion of the hippo in this stand-alone image. But there's one element that might count in favour of the hippo: the very "smoke" Haseeb mentioned in his comment. Can you confirm whether the so called "smoke" is perhaps spray from the hippo? I personally believe it is. In which case the presence of the hippo is needed to explain the smoke-like effect, WDYT?

Powerful scene and the hyena is so cornered, so desperate. Well captured the commotion, confusion, the apparent inability of the victim. She is powerless, insecure, looks helpless...But fighting back.

POV is great, by the way.

Kind regards,

Marc Mol
03-09-2016, 03:38 AM
Hi Marc

For me the inclusion of the hippie is cool in sequences- it works well in there, escpecially in the last image of your SQ, but the exclusion
of it here makes for a more powerfull image with all attention focussed on the Hyena- it is in deep sh..t, nowhere to go...
I would even crop closer (if IQ can take it) to make this more powerful, in your face...
In this crop, the hyena has hit dire straights, no way out; what now...?
WDYT?

Certainly a good alternate crop here Andre, there are probably 3 different crops that all work.

Can you confirm whether the so called "smoke" is perhaps spray from the hippo? I personally believe it is.

It's most definitely the dust/sand that is kicked up here Gabriela, as I have a few others where the hippo is far out of range and the dust is still clearly evident, given the fact that
this battle went on for around 3/4 mins. :w3

Gabriela Plesea
03-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Thank you Marc, I was almost certain it was hippo spray:)

Just thought of something: how about you make the hippie more obvious, since you decided to keep him in anyway? (It looks as if the hyena is looking at him and he is staring back at her, so a bit of a "story" here I quite like)

I also played with exposure selectively in order to highlight that dust and especially the hyena, which is where you want the focus of the attention to be. More light on the hyena and less on the sides, not sure you'll like it but that's what I had in mind and just gave it a little try, hope you do not mind.

Kind regards,

Basil Dardagan
03-10-2016, 02:29 PM
A fabulous dramatic story telling image ! I would def crop the hippo out and get really close to the real action !!

Marc Mol
03-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Thank you Marc, I was almost certain it was hippo spray:)

Just thought of something: how about you make the hippie more obvious, since you decided to keep him in anyway? (It looks as if the hyena is looking at him and he is staring back at her, so a bit of a "story" here I quite like)

I also played with exposure selectively in order to highlight that dust and especially the hyena, which is where you want the focus of the attention to be. More light on the hyena and less on the sides, not sure you'll like it but that's what I had in mind and just gave it a little try, hope you do not mind.

Kind regards,

Good suggestions here with your RP Gabriela,

I like the extra mid tone contrast on the hippo, perhaps just a tad lighter for me. Appreciate your effort nonetheless. :5

Morkel Erasmus
03-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Great dramatic frame, mate!
The hippo can stay or go, works with an without.
Since the treeline at the top is a tad busy, I'd rather crop some of that off than the hippo, if it comes to that...